FIG picks for tonight's rematch versus Ottawa can be left here. Game time is 7:30, but with the Daniel Alfredsson ceremony before the game, puck drop will probably be closer to midnight. The Senators former captain officially announced his retirement today, and he'll be taking warm-ups tonight and generally will be venerated throughout the game.
All joking aside, good for Alfredsson and best of luck in his post-playing career. He was a heckuva reliable player for a long, long time.
- A rash of injury news, some of it good: Michael Grabner returns, while Johnny Boychuk and Lubomir Visnovsky were played on IR retroactive to last week, meaning they could possibly be back for Saturday's game against St. Louis. Griffin Reinhart was recalled on an emergency basis. [LHH]
- No, that's not The Flash. It's just Grabner. [Newsday]
- Prospect Sebastian Collberg was assigned to Stockton by the Sound Tigers yesterday and Brent Thompson said it's to get him playing time during a packed stretch for the Thunder. [Soundin' Off | Stockton | BST]
- I know it's hard to believe but an Islanders owner was sentenced to prison time. Yup. Totally. Paul Greenwood gets 10 years in the can for his financial crimes, half of what his fellow co-owner and crook Stephen Walsh got. Expect an update to the Law & Owners series soon. [ESPN]
- Please welcome Michael Willhoft to the Lighthouse Hockey fold by reading his transcription of Garth Snow's recent XM interview.
- garik brings more Neutral Zone analysis: Game 21 versus the Flyers | Game 22 versus the Capitals | Game 23 at Washington.
- The Hockey News does their usual slapdash half-assed mass market "reporting" on the Islanders emergence.
- The Islanders depth on defense is being tested. This is not a recording. [Islanders]
- Frans Nielsen has come a long way from Denmark to the NHL with a million stops in between. [The Hockey Writers]
- Snow is nothing if not a patient man and it's paying off this season. [Islanders Insight]
- Forward Jason Bast moves from Iowa of the ECHL to the Sound Tigers on a pro contract. [Soundin' Off]
- These Sound Tigers favorite cartoon selections are depressing. I weep for the future. [BST]
- I don't know. How can we be sure that ice is really from the Coliseum. EBayer beware. [NY Isles Blog]
Around the NHL
- Pittsburgh's Robert Bortuzzo was suspended two games for his hit on Jaromir Jagr. [DOPS]
- The Kings get defenseman Alec Martinez on a quality contract extension - six years, $24 million. [JFTC]
- PK Subban fears no man, even as a rookie. Not even Chris Pronger. [EOTP]
- Could unhappy Vincent Lecavalier retire before his ludicrous contract with the Flyers expires? Philly hopes so. [BSH]
- There was no shortage of stories celebrating the life, career and personality of the great Jean Beliveau. Take in as many as you can. Here are a couple: Red Fisher | Bob McKenzie | Laura Saba from Eyes on the Prize
- Pierre LeBrun's Rumblings blog talks Martin Brodeur, the Kings Slava Voynov garbage and rookie Jonathan Drouin.
- Dallas has had a rough season and their beat writer Mike Heika (who's great, by the way) talks about his own fan experiences with hopeless seasons and what advice he has for Stars fans. [Dallas Morning News]