Next game is Friday? Seriously? Welp.
- Recaps of an ugly but productive Monday: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | Daily News | NHL.com | Islanders | In Lou We Trust
- Casey Cizikas was in, Michael Grabner was out (as were Travis Hamonic and Johnny Boychuk - still). [Newsday]
- John, that was not a good penalty to take late in the third period [Puck Daddy | Fire & Ice]. We're not mad. Just disappointed. What do you have to say for yourself, young man.
JT on PK after his ill-advised penalty: "I owe those guys dinner." #Isles— Stephen (@StephenCLorenzo) December 16, 2014
- Didja hear that Devils goalie Keith Kinkaid is from Long Island and grew up an Islanders fan? It's true. [NJ.com]
- In case anyone else was wondering, Kinkaid is still an RFA after the season. [Capgeek]
- And five Islanders-Devils games at the Coliseum that have been memorable for either historic or totally goofy reasons. [NJ.com]
- Cal Clutterbuck breaks down his thievery on Duncan Keith from Saturday night. [Islanders]
- New York Magazine endorses the move to Brooklyn.
- Boychuk and Nick Leddy have helped the Islanders on the ice and in the room. [Wall Street Journal]
- The trades of Boychuk and Leddy rocked their respective teams. The Blackhawks recovered. The Bruins, not so much. [Boston Globe] [I like the article's writer, Fluto Shinzawa, who does a lot of good work. But that article is weird in that it never once mentions the Islanders being the beneficiary of both trades. Or at least calls Garth Snow an agent of chaos or something.]
- The Islanders remain at No. 8 on SBN's power rankings.
- Cory Conacher's trip to the AHL is another roadblock in his difficult career. [Soundin' Off]
- The list of best goalies in the NHL this season include Pekka Rinne, Braden Holtby and the Islanders own Jaroslav Halak. [Neil Greenberg at the Washington Post]
- DO NOT attempt to call Clark Gillies during a press conference, unless you are his daughter. [Newsday]
- You know you want one of these bad boys from the Islanders team store.
- The Oilers fired coach Dallas Eakins yesterday because drafting first overall three times and surrounding those special players with face-punchers and nobodies was his fault somehow. Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson will eventually take over, while GM Craig MacTavish "evaluates" everyone, president Kevin Lowe polishes his Stanley Cup rings and owner Darryl Katz teases his hair. [Copper & Blue | Scott Burnside says the whole operation needs to be burned to the ground]
- Grisly details about the Slava Voynov domestic abuse case were released and the judge ruled that there is enough evidence for a trial. Warning: much of this is very unpleasant. It will most likely mean jail or possible deportation for Voynov. [Jewels from the Crown]
- The NHL really let this mumps thing run a little wild. [Deadspin]
- Corey Perry and the Ducks might not be ground zero for the mumps outbreak. But it's still fun to say they are so I'm sticking with that. [LA Times]
- What's it like having the mumps? Ask Travis Zajak. [NJ.com]
- Gravel-voiced analyst Drew Remenda went from the Sharks to the Oilers, which must be like having reservations at Le Cirque and ending up at Waffle House. [Edmonton Journal]
Another #SlowMoMonday. Apparently, that Blues-Panthers game was like an ice ballet. Also, Lubo!