The New York Islanders host the New Jersey Devils tonight. While the Isles snapped a three-game skid Saturday the Satanists consummated one. Travis Zajac has missed the past eight games "because of a lower-body injury and the mumps."
For the Isles, it's their only game until Friday. No one wants to stew over a loss for four days, now do they?
Islanders Readings to Ward Off the Devil
- FIG Picks: Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight's game out this way. Don't pick Rolston.
- Were you in Amish country this weekend with no access to LHH? We'll catch you up: The Isles had an impressive (and angst-relieving) win over the Hawks, Capuano waxed on the defense and Strome afterward (Vis adding his own poetry), and the search for a more perfect aggregate NHL ranking continues.
- Jack Capuano had no doubt the Isles would get back on track. Also: Travis Hamonic and Casey Cizikas practiced fully Sunday. [Newsday]
- One more Clark Gillies story you may have missed in previous Jethro bits: Clark Gillies talks about his big night, and taking a morning skate -- for the first time since double-knee replacement. [Isles]
- In Cory Conacher's debut, Bridgeport rallied in the third period last night, only to fall in overtime. [CT Post]
- In his post-game blog, Fornabaio had more on Bridgeport's continuing penalty problems. [Soundin' Off]
- The Sound Tigers' fancy stats (or a decent estimate thereof) have been far worse than their record all season. Latest estimate is 27th, as they are still outshot a lot. [@joshweissbock stats]
- Further down the pipeline, a few stat updates on some Isles prospects. [Islanders Insight]
- Metro snapshot: Columbus is hot (and getting healthy), while the division's good teams and bad teams keep doing what they're doing. [In Lou We Trust]
During Saturday's win over the Hawks, Isles fans were kind to Chicago backup (on that night) goalie Antti Raanta:
Raanta said someone offered him candy when he was sitting in the stands at Islanders last night. #Blackhawks— Scott King (@ScottKingMedia) December 15, 2014
Other Places, and the Diseased
- "She's mump, she's mump, she's mump...": Derek Brassard has it. [NHL]
- The Rangers still won though -- on back-to-back nights no less -- because they were playing the Oilers. [Copper & Blue]
"Is this mump, out of my head? I think no." The long and convoluted way Sidney Crosby was allowed to hang around his team and others which what was ultimately found to be mumps. Probably blame Wang here. [Sporting News]
- Tomas Vokoun is retiring. [On the Forecheck]
- Let's just stick with the Pens stories here, why don't we: Olli Maatta will have a second
vowelopinion on his achy breaky shoulder. [Trib Live]
- "We have a trade to announce..." Jeremy Morin gets his wish as Chicago deals him to Columbus for Tim Erixon. [NHL]
- The top 100 players of the 1990s just might make you rethink your involvement in the game. [Greatest Hockey Legends] Everything was going so well until I read "Derian Hatcher."