Enjoy a day off on Sunday to savor the standings. Monday it's the Flyers, who are historically an Islanders stumbling block, on the first day of a packed Thanksgiving week. Buckle up.
- Recaps of a 24-hour tour de force: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | Daily News | Islanders | NHL.com | Pensburgh | Eric Hornick's Skinny
- The Islanders were no doubt inspired by the presence of Billy Smith, who probably threatened to kick their asses if they lost. LHH | Newsday | NY Daily News | NHL.com
- Michael Grabner took Saturday off, but it wasn't a set-back in his recovery from sports hernia surgery, according to Arthur Staple. [Newsday]
- Who's powering the Islanders successful start? The new guys... [CBS Sports]
- ...like Nick Leddy, who took about two minutes to become a rock for the Islanders [Newsday]. Includes very, very early contract info on Leddy and Johnny Boychuk.
- The Sound Tigers dropped a 2-1 decision to the Wolf Pack in Hartford on Saturday night. [Soundin' Off]
Beyond the Coliseum
- Guy known for taking questionable penalties questions another player's penalty. Also, irony remains dead in the mind of Milan Lucic. [Post Dispatch]
- Jen LC brings fancystats for the unfancy hitters in the league. Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck figure prominently, as you would expect. But some other hitters might surprise you. [Momalytics at Puck Daddy]
- How much hitting is enough, and do you need to at all? [Blueshirt Banter]
- Edmonton's David Perron is sick and goddamn tired of losing! Unfortunately, he made that comment before the Oilers' 7-1 pasting at the hands of the Blackhawks last night. Things keep getting uglier in northern Alberta. [Copper 'n Blue]
- The Panthers are a team on the rise on and off the ice (although calling Shawn Thornton "veteran talent" is a stretch). [The Hockey News]
- Those ECHL 1966 Batman and Riddler teams added a little BIF! BANG! and POW! to their game. [Puck Daddy]
I could watch Billy Smith's number retirement ceremony all day because, A. he was such a fascinating character and B. that Lethal Weapon-style mullet wig he's wearing is spectacular. Baldness is a battle that few men win, Billy. But you're still a true legend among legends.