UPDATE and special message from Kyle Okposo:
Take a minute to remember the real heroes today. I can't thank all the people who have served enough. #HappyVeteransDay— Kyle Okposo (@bookerT2116) November 11, 2014
FIG picks for tonight's game against Colorado can be left here. Do not adjust your monitors, game time is 7 pm.
- The Islanders need to be better at home, says Kyle Okposo. Frans Nielsen says they need to play the way they do on the road. [Newsday]
- The western road trip was an instructional one. [NY Post]
- AUDIO: Nielsen was on NHL Live yesterday and talked about staying ahead of the goalie guild in the shootout. [NHL.com]
- Wondering why Brian Strait keeps getting ice time? The answer may be fantasy football. [Sorta Zeitgeist]
- Islanders radio voice since 1856 Chris "Kinger" King stops by the Point Blank Podcast.
- The official prospect round-up. [Islanders]
- Taylor Cammarata and the Golden Gophers swept Notre Dame this weekend and top SB Nation College Hockey's rankings.
- If you're going to the Nov. 22 game versus Pittsburgh, please give to the Blue & Orange Army's Thanksgiving Food Drive. [Islanders Insight]
- Also, keep an eye out for Mrs. Carkner's kid's book, available at the team store
Matt Carkner (@CarknerMatt) November 10, 2014
Around the League
- Winging it in Motown makes the case that Mike Babcock might be clinically insane.
- The Stars' crippling slump has been the result of bad special teams. [Jonathan Willis at BR]
- Getting philosophical about the NHL's "age of statistics" and what it could all mean. [Committed Indian]
- The Coyotes' lease agreement with the city of Glendale might be the most terrifying document since that book in The Evil Dead. [Field of Schemes]
- After a 2-10 start by their AHL team, the Wild have fired a great name in Kurt Kleinendorst and re-hired an okay name in John Torchetti. [Star-Tribune] Rumors that it's Nino's fault are greatly exaggerated.
- Also: Your "NHL could be looking at Vegas" update of the day. [Star-Tribune]
- Bob McKenzie on the future of Canadian (and other national) junior tournaments. [TSN]
- I'm sad: McFarlane Toys has apparently stopped making their highly-detailed NHL figures. Glad I bought my Mike Bossy one years ago. [Untied Magazine]
- But wait: the LEGO-like OYO figured have finally added goalies, like our pal Jaro.
- Yesterday's must-read: NHL teams as chain restaurants. The Islanders did OK, although I'm not sure there are any of those places on Long Island. [Pensburgh]
- Sens and Leafs fans drink, spill, argue, fight and... oh boy. [SB Nation]
- And a selfie with Phil Kessel in the penalty box comes out exactly as you would expect it to. And it is glorious. [SB Nation]
Good lord, Seth Griffith. [SB Nation]