Some free Islanders-inspired Halloween costume ideas for you to use today or tonight:
- Frustrated John Tavares (jersey, helmet - with hair sticking out of front, broken hockey stick)
- A closed door meeting (cardboard door painted blue with handle and sign saying "players only.")
- Next Islanders coach (a Doug Weight jersey).
- Islanders goalmouth defense (get four friends in matching color jerseys or shirts and just lay on top of each other).
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | Mile High Hockey | Eric Hornick's Skinny
- They grow up so fast: last night was Kyle Okposo's 400th career game. [Newsday]
- From prior to last night's game, there is no goalie controversy. Jaroslav Halak is still the No. 1 and the coaches want him to relax. [Newsday]
- garik makes it clear: Halak will be fine. Chad Johnson is a different story. [Islander Analytics]
- The Sporting News says the same thing, but throws around the "C-word"
- From the am, Mike tallied the power rankings from around the 'net. Take a good look because the Islanders won't be that high next week unless they thrash the Sharks 17-0 on Saturday. [LHH]
- Islanders fans are tortured peoples [Islanders Insight]. I agree with the premise that, by and large, they are always - ALWAYS - waiting for the other shoe to drop to a pathological degree. But I disagree that they are the only fanbase that does so. Watching Habs fans go ballistic over Michel Therrien's decisions or seeing Red Wings fans calling for Ken Holland's job is a reminder that it's sometimes a good idea to take a step into other worlds and see what the fans there are thinking, too.
- Long Islanders lament the loss of the Islanders' original home. [LI Herald]
- The Islanders are among Down Goes Brown's Eight Surprise teams.
- LHH reader and occasional commenter Neil Greenberg says the Islanders are good, just not as good as they have looked at times this season. [Washington Post]
- A roster crunch forced the Sound Tigers to send Andrey Pedan to Stockton. He'll be back, according to Brent Thompson [CT Post]. He most likely did not enjoy his plane ride to California. [Twitter]
- A quick rundown of numbers before the Sound Tigers weekend. [BST]
- An Islanders quiz like no other: can you identify goalies by just their pads? [Capitol District Islander]
- Ol' pal Thomas Vanek hasn't produced on the ice so far this season [Bleacher Report]. But goals might be the least of Vanek's problems. A Rochester bookie pleaded guilty to laundering money, including a payment from an Islanders check which may be connected to the gambling investigation Vanek was implicated in last year. [Democrat and Chronicle has the story | OneNewsPage has the video]
Around the NHL
- Stop the presses: the Devils have won a shootout. [NHL.com]
- And hold those trade proposals: the Flyers signed UFA defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo to fill in for some of their injured dudes. [Broad Street Hockey]
- Rest can make a huge difference over the course of a season for NHL teams. [TSN.ca]
- This' week's Connor McDavid Power Rankings. Congrats to the Oilers for (temporarily) pulling away from the muck.
- A bigger fear than concussions or injuries among hockey players is a fear of failure. [The Hockey News]
- Vegas casino wants an NHL team. Always bet on Bettman. [SB Nation]
- Hercules is a Wild man. I demand a hockey Q&A with Lucy Lawless now. [The Hockey News]
- Starting at forward for the Boston Celtics
Larry BirdScott Hartnell. [SB Nation]
- ECHL teams to wear Batman and Riddler uniforms for Halloween (and for charity). [Robot 6]
- Gob Bluth takes over as coach of the Leafs. He's made a terrible mistake. [Bar Down]
- Not hockey: Inside the madness of Serbia's Belgrade Derby. [SB Nation Longform]