First Islanders Goal picks for tonight's game against Les Avalanche can be filed here. Game time is 9 pm New York time, so you have a few extra hours to pick Brock Nelson.
- The next few games away from home will be a big test for the Islanders. [NHL.com]
- They head west facing many questions. [IslesTalk]
- Dom discussed the decline of fighters in the NHL and what that could mean for the Islanders' much-maligned fourth line. [LHH]
- We have not forgotten about Matt Donovan, who is keeping his chin up despite many healthy scratchings. [IPB]
- Johnny Boychuk's brothers are named Sam and Dave and they seem like a lively good time, much like the musical act they're (most likely not) named after. [Eyes on Isles]
- The Winnipeg Free Press does the "last year at the Coliseum" thing.
- Former Islander Miro Satan is a very important figure in the history of Slovakian hockey. [Hockey in Society]
- Crooked ex-Islanders owner faces 20 years in prison for fraud. No, not him. The other one. [Newsday]
- Rest in Piece and condolences to the family of expansion Islander Germain Gagnon. [NYI Skinny]
Other team stuff
- Gordie Howe suffered a "serious stroke" and is resting at home in Texas. Needless to say, the entire sports world is pulling for "Mr. Hockey." [SB Nation]
- The Rangers will see less of Moore for the next five games. [Blueshirt Banter]
- The Bruins are down another defenseman with Torey Krug out 2-3 weeks with a broken finger. [SCOC]
- Wait. Other teams underutilize their good players too? Crazy. [Eyes on the Prize on Lars Eller]
- The Buffalo Sabres are a very bad hockey team. Very, very bad [Globe and Mail]. They have to be that bad if it means snagging one of the draft's big fish. [Sportsnet]
- Meanwhile, Strome the Younger is storming the draft charts. [The Hockey News]
- Is a fast start everything or just the only thing? [CBS Sports]
- Dallas GM Jim Nill could have made a bunch of trades last season but didn't. Good (non) moves. [Yahoo]
- The battle of the Blackhawks back-ups is journeyman vs incumbent. [ESPN]
- WHL team hires stats blogger, world does not end. [Star Phoenix]
The Johns talk about The Trip.