The Dallas Stars played in New Jersey last night, beating the Devils in a shootout. The Islanders last played in Boston on Thursday. We've seen this scenario before. If this is indeed a "new" Islanders team, we must hope that they will be the ones who look like they slept in their own beds for the last two nights and not the Stars.
FIG picks for tonight's game can be filed here. Game time is 7 pm.
- Frans Nielsen is more than just one shootout move. He's the Islanders' Danish Army Knife [Islanders]
- Speaking of tools, Jack Capuano has more now than he ever has while coaching the Islanders and he's needed to use all of them so far this season. [New$day]
- Audio: Capuano stops by WOR Radio for a chat.
- Craig Custance looks at Johnny Boychuk's im--[Sorry - E$PN In$ider$ Only]
- The Islanders have spent the least days in first place than any team in the NHL since 2005-06. [Wall Street Journal]
- A Beastie Boys-inspired Islanders jersey makes Puck Daddy's Jersey Fouls. I was sad to see the guy didn't have a peg leg at the end of his stump.
- Bridgeport's Alan Quine talks about the shooting in his hometown of Ottawa. [CT Post]
- The Flyers will be without defensemen Braydon Coburn and Andrew MacDonald for four weeks thanks to injuries, and have recalled prospect Shane Gostisbehere from the AHL to fill in. [Broad Street Hockey] Can we interest you in a slightly-used Brian Strait?
- Brett Cyrgalis with a New Yorker's outlook on the violence in Ottawa this week, as well as a suspension for Calvin de Haan that wasn't. [NY Post]
- Professional yeller Glenn Healy made some idiotic comments about Alex Ovechkin and Japers Rink wonders why it's OK for NHL analyists to repeatedly and viciously attack star players over nonsense.
- The greatest goaltender of all time is... determined by Sportsnet's stats people.
- Los Panthers de Florida mostráran tres partidos en español este año. Eso puede ser una oportunidad por nuestro amigo El Cubano Grande. [Litter Box Cats]
- Brooksie says some guy is angling to finally put an NHL team in Las Vegas. And that team might be the Arizona Coyotes because of course it would be. [NY Post]