FIG picks for tonight's game against the Bruins can be left here. Let's not all pick Johnny Boychuk, OK?
- Move-a-rama! Anders Lee was recalled from Bridgeport and Colin McDonald was placed on waivers Wednesday. If he isn't claimed by a team before noon today, McDonald will report to the Sound Tigers. Also, Mikhail Grabovski was placed on IR with a concussion retroactive to the 16th. That's bad. The good news: Lubomir Visnovsky could be on his way back. [McNally's all over it. | Michael Fornabaio with a little more]
- Garik examines what we can expect from the Islanders with Lee in the line-up. [Islanders Analytics]
- Brett Crygalis runs down the changes the Islanders hope stop their slump. [NY Post]
- Tonight's game in Boston means Johnny Boychuk returns to the team and community that embraced him as if he was an Irish cop from Southie. Boychuk is enjoying his time on Long Island [WEEI] | Boychuk's back in his old stomping ground [Staple in New$day] | Bruins ready for their bro [Boston Herald] | NESN calls the Islanders "Highly Skilled."
- Could Boychuk stay with the Islanders after this season? He's listening. [Pierre LeBrun | The Score]
- The Islanders finally had their introductory press conference yesterday for their new owners, Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin. Here's a round-up of stories.
- Mike rounds up the week in Power Rankings and tweaks his own formula. [LHH]
- Eric David Morris on the sports hernia, which is still keeping Michael Grabner out of the line-up. [Undisclosed Injury]
- I think this is old, but Kyle Okposo gets a feature story in USA Hockey magazine.
- Bridgeport's Marc Nemec was assigned to Colorado of the ECHL. [Sound Tigers]
- Michael Dal Colle will represent the OHL against Russian juniors in the Subway Super Series. [Durham Region]
- The AHL has a long history as a testing ground for NHL changes. [The Checking Line]
- Third String Goalie takes a look at productive fan favorite Miro Satan. Loved that guy.
- Pat LaFontaine sold his Long Island mansion, seen here in a creepy aerial surveillance photo. [New$day]
- Can you name every Islander to score a goal since 2010? You have seven minutes. [Sporcle Quiz]
Out in the World
- Forget hockey. The big news yesterday was the tragic shooting in Canadian Parliament. Stop by Silver Seven and offer your support to the Ottawa residents if you can. It took a while, but the NHL did the right thing by cancelling last night's Maple Leafs-Senators game [SB Nation] | The Penguins made a classy (yes) decision to honor Ottawa by singing "Oh Canada" before their game against the Flyers, and had a nice display to go along with it. [SB Nation] | Finally, read Bob McKenzie's personal thoughts on the shocking day and the city he loves. [TSN.ca]
- The Buffalo Sabres (who are totally not tanking) hosted Connor McDavid (who they totally aren't trying to draft) at their arena for a (totally not special at all) OHL game. McDavid had a goal and three assists in the Eerie Otters' 8-4 win over the Niagara Ice Dogs. [NHL.com]
- The Wild signed Charlie Coyle to a 5-year extension. [NHL.com]
- Nathan Horton's potentially career-ending injuries hit close to home for one writer at The Cannon.
- A new patch for NHL15 adds all kinds of new modes. Whether that's good or bad is up to you. [Polygon]
- This goal by Pavel Datsyuk was sick. Too bad it was disallowed. [The Score]
The Sound Tigers play baseball, if you're into that sort of thing