Tonight it's return-the-favor time, as the New York Islanders play a preseason game in the Devils' home. That's followed by tomorrow night's game with the Bruins in Bridgeport. After that: Preseason schedules over, roster moves and cuts to be made.
Hide your knives.
- The wonderful drama for Islanders fans prone to going all Romeo & Juliet yesterday stemmed from Newsday's Arthur Staple handicapping what he thought the opening night lineup would be [Newsday], but his post offered much more than just that. In further responses on Twitter, he said the lineup was what he thinks, influenced by what he's heard at camp.
- In related news, Cory Conacher made an impact the other night in his biggest opportunity so far. [Newsday]
- Dan's excellent photo essay from the Brooklyn game and reflections on the pending move was the first in a series. [LHH]
- EA Sports sims the Isles will miss the playoffs, so [break something]. [LHH]
- John Tavares was quite moved by the experience of having his number retired. [Oshawa Express]
- To see out the Coliseum, Hornick is going all out with some day-by-day goods. [Skinny]
- This was cool: A storify of Islanders fans on the LIRR to the Brooklyn game.
- Also quite cool: The Death of Nassau Coliseum: A Harbinger of Suburban Decline? | Newgeography.com
- The Isles are doing Hockey Fights Cancer again in October; here are the game dates and organizations. [Isles]
- The Dump and Chase Podcast is back.
- HERE IS A SLIDESHOW OF THE MOST IMPROVED TEAMS AND ONE OF THE SLIDES IS THE ISLANDERS. [Sporting News]
- In which fans are advised how to pick a Metro team, and the Isles are compared to the Redskins. [Sportsnet]
- How the East's non-playoff teams can get back in. (Better living through mediocrity.) [NHL]
Beyond the Island
- Hey, you've got a favorite hockey team so own it. Not in a Charles Wang way, I mean. In an I'm a raving homer way. [HEOTP]
- Evgeni Malkin has yet to skate in camp, no doubt out of respect for Sidney Crosby. [Trib Review]
- The top 10 goalies in the Metro. [Japers' Rink]
- The Flyers' entire handling of the Ice Girls situation leaves questions...which they're not inclined to answer. [BSH]
- The Oilers' explanation of their Tkachev contract snafu is kind of oops. [Oilers]
- Remember when Swiss Sven Baertschi was recalled from juniors on emergency conditions by the Flames and scored a few goals right away and that was going to be stardom? That was a while ago now. [Herald]
- Meet Stephane Quintal, the new Colin Shanahan. [Yahoo]
- The Mike Babcock contract situation is at Threat Level: Johansen. [WIM]
- The KHL's Lokomotive hires Dave King again. [Puck Daddy]
- The Rogers' broadcast changes: Same ol', same ol'. [PPP]