Two games in and the Islanders "test" week has gone as well as it possibly could have (aside from Mikhail Grabovski's possible injury). A division win against the Rangers and now a quality shootout win over the previously undefeated Sharks. Next test is in Pittsburgh against the always formidable Penguins on Saturday night. My advice: be confident, be smaht and get the hell out of there with whatever points or pride you can carry.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | NY Post | NY Daily News | Fear the Fin
- Mikhail Grabovski health updates will be posted when we get them. He was leveled by John Scott, hit the ice and left the game visibly woozy. He will be re-evaluated Friday.
- Grabovski, Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson have been good in these early games. Let's hope Grabovski returns to health soon and they continue. [New$day]
- Calvin de Haan returned and Lubomir Visnovsky should be next. [New$day]
- Dom's plus/minus post-gamer loves the crowd, the Boss, the Stalock and the captain.
- Griffin Reinhart gets a ticket to Bridgeport and a pat on the back from Jack Capuano [LHH | NY Post]
- So far this season, the Islanders have been slot machines. [Eyes on Isles]
- It's a big season for a lot of reasons and the Islanders have matched it. [LIB Magazine]
- Paul Stewart at Hockey Buzz tells the Tale of Two Gillies - Clark and Trevor. Aside from sharing a last name and one team between them, the two are unrelated in nearly every way.
- Hornick tells a forgotten story about forgotten helmets. [NYI Skinny]
- A little more info on the Nassau Coliseum: The Next Generation courtesy of a speech by Bruce Ratner. [IPB]
- Mick Vukota will be on Sportstalk1240 this Sunday at 8 pm.
- Goal: N.Y. Islanders Cast-Offs, Schremp 1 (Kabanov) [Ice Box TV Twitter]
- Josh Ho-Sang had two goals in his return to Windsor, an 8-5 win over Saginaw. [Windsor Star]
- Last night's NHL scores. Like the Sharks, the Devils' unbeaten streak is no more after a rout in Washington. The Habs beat the Bruins and Milan Lucic didn't kill anyone. But he's still a douche [EOTP].
- Pascal Dupuis left the Penguins' game against Dallas on a stretcher after being hit in the neck with a puck. [SB Nation]
- The Flyers are bad at shootouts. Like, really really bad. [Philly.com]
- The Kings signed defenseman Jake Muzzin to a really tidy 5-year deal. [JFTK]
- The Devils' first home game of the season is Saturday (?!) and they'll see some improvements around The Rock. [NY Daily News]
- Audio: James Mirtle on analytics changing hockey. [CBC.ca]
- Athletes are sometimes very very flawed human beings. Making heroes of them can be complex. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Also complex: marketing hockey to women. Teams need to be less stupid about it. [Stars Insider]
- Someone stole a laptop from NHL HQ in New York. Surely there is information of prime importance on it. [NY Post]
- Yes, one of the St. Louis Rams has a giant, classic Mighty Ducks tattoo. [CBS Sports]
- A hilarious new feature from the SBN Mothership: The Connor McDavid Power Rankings.
- All the NHL goal horns and songs on one page. To be bookmarked immediately [WeJustScored.com]. And the story behind its creation [Puck Daddy].
- Phil Kessel's awesome OT goal gets the NHL '94 treatment. [NHL Twitter]