See? And you guys were worried. Now you can start worrying about Thursday when the Sharks swim into Uniondale.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | NY Post | NY Daily News | NHL.com | Blueshirt Banter
- Jack Capuano sees flaws in the Islanders opening victories. [New$day and LHH with video]
- Dom's Plus/Minus Battle Level Report has the good, the bad and The Reverend.
- The art behind the "Potvin Sucks" chant that meathead Rangers fans believe still bothers or embarrasses anyone other than themselves. Kids today don't know the story or care, Ulf Nilsson didn't care then and still doesn't and, most importantly, Denis Potvin LOVES it because it means he's still inside their heads 20 years after he retired. But keep doing it. Knock yourselves out. [NY Daily News]
- As an aside, will Filip Bondy be doing a story on the alternate Rangers fan-baiting lyrics to "The Chicken Dance" that Islanders (and every other) fans do every game? I won't hold my breath.
- Stats Sorcerer Eric Hornick gives his Skinny on last night's game AND stops by the IslesBlog podcast. Busy man.
- Brock Nelson catches the eye of ESPN's Scott Burnside, which means either Nelson is playing really well or he signed with the Miami Heat.
- John Tavares, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos are all healthy and looking for goals right now. [Toronto Sun]
- Bridgeport's Lukas Sutter has been assigned to the Stockton Thunder and an update on Aaron Ness. [CT Post]
- Hockey's Future says the Islanders are bursting with country fresh prospects.
- Alumni News: Richard Park was named to the staff of the AHL's Iowa Wild. | Former Islanders video coordinator Joe Heydenburg has passed away. [USCHO.com]
- The Nick Leddy trade was pretty straightforward for the Islanders. They acquired an experienced, but young, RFA who is a clear upgrade to their weakest position in exchange for a highly-touted prospect. For the Blackhawks, it's a lot more complicated, and the reasons behind the trade go a long way to illustrating how Chicago goes about their business. [Second City Hockey. Lots of disagreement in the comments, too]
- By the way, today's scheduled introduction of new owners Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin has been postponed. Everything is fine. But they had to push it back a week or two. [New$day]
Around the Boards
- Last night's NHL scores. John Scott is a laser-guided goal-scoring machine [Puck Daddy].
- The Panthers' (lack of) attendance was the topic du jour yesterday. In the rush to make jokes, people forget the reasons behind the empty seats [Puck Daddy]. | The amount of joy from some corners of the globe is misplaced [SB Nation]. | Florida's opponents that night, the Ottawa Senators, know all about low attendance [Silver Seven]. | But that doesn't mean we can't have fun with the Panthers, the Senators and the critics. [LHH Zeitgeist]
- Getting the captain's C can be a heavy burden. Taking it off can be worse. [Down Goes Brown]
- How do drafted and undrafted goalies fare in the NHL? [Puckology]
- Canadian gold medalist Shannon Szabados will play in a men's league this season. [Sportsnet]
- Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Henrik Lundqvist speak in favor of acceptance. [Outsports]
- The Sabres aren't tanking, according to tank commander Tim Murray. [Pierre LeBrun]
- In case you haven't heard, plus/minus is a terrible way to gauge hockey players. [Eyes on the Prize]
- The making of a mascot: starring the Bruins bear. [Stanley Cup o' Chowder]
- The Adirondack Flames have doused their mascot Scorch after the blow back following an incendiary introduction video. [Post Star]
- Their parent team made a wild video in the 1980's featuring Lanny McDonald's mustache playing a trumpet. [On the Forecheck]