Happy Columbus day. Whether you're reading this at home or stuck at work, we hope your day is a good one.
- Arthur Staple gets the low down on bulldog Nikolay Kulemin and how he fits with linemates Frans Nielsen and Josh Bailey. [New$day]
- Goalie Kent Simpson, who was acquired from the Blackhawks with Nick Leddy, has been assigned to the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL. [Loveland Reporter-Herald]
- The Sound Tigers got their first win of the season Sunday against St. John's. Harry Zolnierczyk had two goals and Sebastian Collberg scored his first AHL goal. [Sound Tigers | CT Post]
- The Hockey News gets to know former Islanders tough guy Rich Pilon who shares some, um, very personal revelations.
- New$day had a monstrous special section on the start of the final year at Nassau. Steve Jacobson took a look around and found an arena and community that were victims of time. The last line is a killer. | John Jeansonne takes a trip into the way back machine and says that winning at home is important. | This year will be a sentimental one for fans.
- Venerable New York Times sports columnist George Vecsey covered the Islanders dynasty and their heyday as the pride of Long Island. He really wants you to know that, in case you somehow forgot. Today's Islanders aren't a dynasty and soon, they won't even be playing in Nassau County. He wants you to know that, too. In case you somehow forgot.
- Read this instead: The Slow Goodbye to Nassau Coliseum by writer and Islanders fan Michele Catalano. [on Medium]
- Bleuchz has liked some things he's seen so far and think we'll continue to see them this season. [FanPost]
- Last night's NHL scores. The Rangers home-opener didn't go so well for them.
- The Wild signed defenseman Jonas Brodin to a 6-year, $25 million extension. He's good. [Puck Daddy]
- Caps rookie Evgeni Kuznetsov doesn't want the Calder Trophy. It's just a big hassle. [Puck Daddy]
- Colorado's Eric Johnson dropped an elbow on Minnesota's speedy Eric Haula and was not suspended. [SB Nation]
- You know things around the Bruins are a little crazy when CSNNE's water carryin' Joe Haggerty is complaining about the team's apologists not seeing their flaws.
- Flyers prospect Samuel Morin takes a puck to the face and may require jaw surgery. Speedy recovery to him. [Broad Street Hockey]
Incorrigible bad seed Evander Kane plays reporter and laughs it up with Jets teammates and staffers. Sure looks like a troublemaker. The Jets should get rid of him. They can surely get his personality and offense from someone else.