This one begins a six-game road trip for the Isles, and they have new father Kyle Okposo back in the lineup. Sounds like Eric Boulton will be back in to Boulton with the Leafs' Boultons.
With Evgeni Nabokov on IR after leaving last night's game with an injury, Kevin Poulin gets the start.
One not-surprising but also telling bit from the Islanders' gameday notes:
The Isles are 15-4-2 when they score at least three goals and are 0-18-5 when they do not.
Anyway, tonight's opponent has its own, opposite issues -- constantly being outshot while relying on strong goaltending to steal games. That means sometimes not even the goaltending can save the day, so they, in a familiar problem for every not-perfect team, sometimes give up leads in the third period. That worries fans and gets them debating how and when to use their uncreative "defensive specialist" center Jay McClement.
More views from the other side, at Leafs Nation:
The Islanders are in town, fresh off a smackdown of the Dallas Stars the previous night. This is a very winnable game for Toronto as the rested team facing a team on the road half of a back-to-back, and also a game they could probably manage to out-shoot the opposition.
Also, the Leafs are considering newly acquired Tim Gleason as Dion Phaneuf's new partner.
Leave those first goal picks here. And with the back-to-back and other posts crowding the front page, this is tonight's official game thread.
- Olympic Hockey Rosters: Canada names John Tavares, Austria selects Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner
- [Back-to-Back Gameday Bits] Going Away Party Over. Time to Hit the Road
- Evgeni Nabokov Injury: Anders Nilsson recalled as Nabby placed on IR
- New York Islanders 7, Dallas Stars 3: John Tavares hat trick, Ryan Strome's first NHL goal, Nabokov injured
- New York Islanders vs. Dallas Stars Preview: Donovan, Bailey return; Okposo on baby watch