By 11 a.m. today (presser is at 10:45), the Islanders will make it official that John Tavares is their next captain and should remain so for a very, very long time.
Meanwhile, back at band camp ... rookie camp featured a lengthy practice on Sunday, with the sides dividing up for a scrimmage that forced some of the many many defensemen in camp to play as forwards.
- UPDATED: Audio of Garth Snow on WGBB's Isles-focused hockey talk.
- Here are some notes/rosters on that as well as quotes from Aaron Ness and Anders Lee, who will finish up his college credits next summer.
- Particularly because it's NHL or bust (back down to juniors), Griffin Reinhart is gonna do all he can to make this team.
- A few observations and clips from Eyes on Isles after Day 2.
- In case you missed it from weekend bits, here's a good official site write-up on Ryan Strome.
- Arthur Staple of Newsday says Radek Martinek and Brad Boyes could be training camp invites.
- Yet another "IF John Tavares is named captain, he's cool with that" piece, this time from ESPN*.
*And it's fun to watch both NHL.com and ESPN.com report it in a "Tavares told [our outlet]" way when it's a media tour and he's clearly saying the same stuff to everyone who showed up. (In fine ESPN tradition, "a source told ESPN" Tavares will be captain well after another unnamed outlet -- Arthur Staple of Newsday -- had reported it.)
Pelech on Pelech
Here is Adam Pelech and several others talking about Adam Pelech in his first prospect camp (injuries kept him out of prior ones). But the real takeaway here is that I still would not want to mess with Eric Cairns.
And here was Bridgeport coach Scott Pellerin discussing camp after the first few days:
- Speaking of camp invites, Hal Gill heads to Flyers camp.
- And somehow Ryan Whitney gets an invite to Blues camp. (Not the musical kind.)
- Mitchell Theoret is an invite to Jets prospect camp.
- Hershey will have a "Joel Rechlicz Bobblefist Night." So there's that then.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looks good after shoulder surgery but he still might miss October games.
- The time the U.S. fielded two Olympic teams. (h/t mmetrostar)
And for Brooklyn and fellow LHHers, still checking for Barclays preseason pre-game meetup ideas.