The New York Islanders rookie camp is well underway, so here are some clips and shots from that, as well as other NHL news and videos:
- Ryan Strome really wants to make the Isles roster now but is taking the long view:"Obviously, you never want to get set down from anywhere and always want to play at the highest level. But it’s about a 15-year career, not a one or two-year career. It’s better to climb the ladder slowly and stay there than get to the top quick and fall off."
- NEW: Calvin de Haan says he's ready to go, Scott Pellerin says they need him: "He's a leader," Pellerin said. "He's been around. We have a really young group; we need guys like him to step up to help direct the ship a little bit and he's doing that on and off the ice, so that's good to see."
- John Tavares would be totally cool with being Islanders captain. Not that that will happen or anything. Just speaking hypothetically is all.
- The Isles Instagram Matt Donovan saying, "I just have to continue to play my style of game, and keep playing physically." And by that he means minding the defense while also doing the pinches that are his nature.
- On UMass Lowell boy Riley Wetmore, Sound Tiger in Isles Rookie Camp this week.
- Video from Day 1 of rookie training camp.
- More Instagram: Steve Valiquette with three goalies who can win a job.
- From the Greek's YouTube feed, which is trolling him: Sports Science on a Sumo goalie.
- Copper & Blue tallies goalie PK save percentages and even strength save percentages over the past five years.
Moulson Media Tour
Here is video of Matt Moulson talking about his first NHL goal, and below Moulson talks Brooklyn and raised expectations with EJ Hradek:
It's the second anniversary of the Lokomotiv tragedy -- my, time flies. I know some of us had a soft spot for Josef Vasicek and wish his Islanders tenure were longer. Here was the Hurricanes video tribute after he died in that crash. It's all Hurricanes footage, but that smile was the same no matter what uniform he put on. [Edit: Apologies, videos via nhl.com aren't loading at the moment.]