The New York Islanders laid an egg on the ice in the first game in Brooklyn yesterday, but now it's on to the rest of the business of preseason preparation. That resumes with an early evening game in Nashville today (6 p.m. EDT start). But first, some more reactions to last night's christening of hockey at Barclays Center (lots of arena reactions in comments in that link):
- NHL.com on the game and reaction to the arena: "It would be nice to treat our fans to a Stanley Cup win before we come here to Brooklyn," said Matt Martin.
- Skim more photos: Islanders vs. Devils - 09/21/2013 - New York Islanders - Photos
- The official site's recap: New Jersey Devils at New York Islanders Game Recap - 09/21/2013
- More from Islanders Point Blank | Post-game notebook
- The Checking Line on the game and on the arena experience, as well as more fan reactions
- Eyes On Isles says something was lacking, though the something was probably "meaningful games."
- Newsday with some pre-game quotes from Jack Capuano about what role he sees for the grinders, which sounds like "buy time until the skilled guys' turn": Those guys "understand their roles," Capuano said before the game. "They're physical, they chip pucks, systematically they understand what they have to do. To me, those are the guys we can use in crucial situations."
- The Post on players' excitement mixed with Coliseum nostalgia
- Newsday: Fans instantly take a liking to arena in Brooklyn | Many impressed
- Official site with reactions to the building
- 7th Woman with scenes and reactions from the game
- Knight of Cups: Give Brooklyn time to work it out |
- NY Times: Mixed reviews | North Jersey: Differing views | Daily News: Concourse room!
- And ESPN.com on what fans thought.
- NHL.com's Brian Compton tweets that he suspects Griffin Reinhart will get a nine-game audition.
- Newsday "Inside the deal to remake Nassau Coliseum"
- In Lou We Trust (still?) has reactions from the Devils' side.
- In just-breaking non-Isles news: Sam Gagner will be out indefinitely with a broken jaw, a huge blow for the Oilers who are already thin at center with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins out. Taylor Hall is already sliding to center while Nugent-Hopkins is out for the first month. (And why are they thin at center? Have fun perusing "Steve Tambellini's Worst Moves")
Here is the Islanders' projected lineup and combos for Nashville, which should be an important game for Anders Nilsson in the battle for the backup goalie job:
40 Michael Grabner - 16 Peter Regin - 96 Pierre-Marc Bouchard
27 Anders Lee - 29 Brock Nelson - 18 Ryan Strome
40 Mike Halmo - 28 Johan Sundstrom - 38 Chris Bruton
36 Eric Boulton - 61 Riley Wetmore - 49 Justin Johnson
52 Joe Finley - 4 Radek Martinek
14 Thomas Hickey - 6 Ryan Pulock
44 Calvin de Haan - 7 Matt Carkner
45 Anders Nilsson
35 Ken Reiter
Catch up on Predators views at On The Forecheck.
We'll have a full game thread up at game time.