Good morning. Your New York Islanders didn't gain in the standings last night, but they didn't drop either. They won a game they needed, against an opponent they should probably leave behind.
Sorry, no update on David Ullstrom's injury last night yet, but it did not look good. UPDATE: He's expected to miss three to four weeks with a groin injury. Real pity for the Swede if he's out long term. This season started out promisingly, he did well in Bridgeport and earned an opening night NHL roster spot, even scored an OT winner in his one-day demotion to Bridgeport. Now this. And there is Jesse Joensuu (less speed, more gritz) to potentially take his place.
- Also to fill in: Keith Aucoin, who appreciates not being demoted during his three-week scratch period.
- Speaking of Bridgeport, the Sound Tigers got rid of their Colorado imports in short order. Chad Costello through mutual divorce. Buddy Jack Combs through trade. That leaves the a forward short if John Persson isn't ready. The team knows a playoff push is possible.
- You know about the Kevin Connolly film on John Spano, but maybe you didn't know it will premier in April at Tribeca. And maybe you needed to see that shot of Spano one more time. (I'm stunned at the visceral response I get from seeing that picture. Takes me back, reminds me how many times we thought we were out of the woods.)
- Good stuff from Isles Enforcers: 1/29/01 Mick Vukota vs Jim McKenzie | 3/14/98 Steve Webb vs Bryan McCabe | 1/31/91 Mick Vukota vs John Kordic
- Oh, and Isles of the future: Justin Kea vs Andrey Pedan, Mar 9, 2013 - Spirit vs Storm - hockeyfights.com
- And maybe Isle of the future? Anders Lee a finalist for CCHA player of the year and best defensive forward | CCHA News
- Not like the Isles will sign any of them, but if you like to follow the college free agent game, I give you Bob McKenzie: "Based on my conversations with NHL clubs, consensus top 3 college free agents are: DeKeyser, D, WMU; Sustr, D, UNO; Laganiere, RW, Yale."
- Really nice work by NHL rights holder NBC to glorify a bunch of hits and not mention that a bunch of them would be, you know, illegal today (And some illegal back then).
- According to some table at CBS, Steve Oleksy and Luke Schenn are two of the top three defensive defensemen in the league. Yeah.
- Seattle's arena looks cool. You know, if it gets built. And if they get a hockey team.
- Speaking of which, AEG has decided to not sell the Kings and all that stuff right now, but is it related to NFL politics?
- Top 10 centers in the NHL?
- Watch Sidney Crosby get [wrestling term I don't understand. Is wrestling real?]
- Got your eye on Laviolette? He's got the old "vote of confidence."
Luongo and Schneider
Good sports, those two, as TSN goes for the funny:
More later. As always, if you see a good link feel free to add it in comments or post a FanShot (or both).