Had big plans for the Islanders coming out of the holiday break? Better temper them. John Tavares has a lower body injury and his status is day-to-day, which is exactly as vague as it sounds.
He is out for tonight's game, per the team, which brings other changes as well. Your new first line center is Brock Nelson:
Capuano: Tavares will not play tonight (day-to-day, lower body). Brock Nelson to play first line center. #Isles— NYIslanders (@NYIslanders) December 28, 2013
Capuano continued: Peter Regin into the lineup at wing. Carkner in for Ness at defense. Nabokov in goal. #Isles— NYIslanders (@NYIslanders) December 28, 2013
Mark Herrmann is the man on the scene at the Coliseum today. Perhaps Tavares' injury is Radko Gudas-related?
Cappy said it wasn't something late in Det game that hurt JT. An earlier issue— Mark Herrmann (@markpherrmann) December 28, 2013
- FIG Picks for tonight's game against Jersey are here.
- Will Sammon pinch hit for Arthur Staple at Newsday yesterday and got to announce the first word on Tavares' injury. Not a lot of information so we'll wait for more. [New$day]
- Eric Hornick has all the numbers on Tavares' consecutive games played streak, which stretched back to 2010.
- Stop me if you've heard this before, but Kyle Okposo is making a case for this year's USA Olympic team. [Islanders]
- Newsday runs down 2013 in New York Sports. The Islanders come in seventh behind, I think, six stories about A-Rod.
Other NHL News:
- Last night's NHL scores. The Bruins crushed the Senators, the Blackhawks crushed the Avalanche and the Oilers and Flames... played as well.
- Pascal Dupuis has a torn ACL and could miss extended time. [SB Nation]
- Oh good. Flyers-Capitals could be next year's Winter Classic. Nice to see new teams involved he said sarcastically. [Broad Street Hockey]
- NHL Network: Still terrible, unless you need a WaxVac. [Awful Announcing]
- Coyotes owners want to see more asses in the seats. Good luck with that. [Puck Daddy]
- Sports Illustrated lists the 13 biggest NHL moves of 2013. Alan Muir is not a fan of the Thomas Vanek trade from the Islanders' POV.
- Evgeni Malkin brings the same brute force and deadly elegance he brings to hockey to his work as shampoo pitchman. This side tingles. [Yahoo Canada]
- [Bits] Pack up the stockings and bag up the tree. It's back to work
- New York Islanders Christmas Wishlist: Looking ahead
- [Bits] OK, students. No homework over Christmas break
- Recap - New York Islanders 3, Detroit Red Wings: All exactly as expected.
- Islanders News: Limping into Detroit