Merry Christmas from LHH. Whatever you celebrate, be safe, be happy and be as full of tasty treats as this post is full of interesting NHL news.
- Recaps: LHH | Mark Herrmann at New$day | NHL | Dee Karl at Hockey Buzz | Winging it in Motown
- The Skinny from The Joe (written by The Eric)
- On Kyle Okposo's Olympic chances. [Too Many Men on the Site]
Around the boards:
- Last night's NHL scores. Lots of games, lots of scores, none funnier than the Sabres beating the Coyotes in OT because of Mike Smith's pants.
- The BIG NEWS from yesterday was that Oilers fans are ANGRY enough to throw jerseys on the ice (well, one guy was at least). Much controversy ensued when coach Dallas Eakins called out the fan as "a quitter." He then later clarified without really clarifying anything. In the evening, we found out that GM Craig MacTavish actually called the fan and talked to him. Edmonton responded last night by thumping Winnipeg 6-2. I expect the Oilers to sign the fan to a three-year contract any day now.
- Silver Seven wants to scratch Senators coach Paul MacLean. Not, fire. Scratch. As in, sit in the press box for a game.
- The Capitals score in buckets. [Japers Rink]
- Devils rookie Eric Gelinas is good, but not Calder Trophy good. [In Lou We Trust]
- Have wrap-around attempts been made easier this season thanks to shallower nets? [SB Nation]
- The shady deal that brought Pavel Bure to Vancouver. [The Province]
- Ken Campbell of The Hockey News looks on the folly of long, lucrative goalie contracts.
- Puck Daddy's Most Controversial People in the NHL in 2013
- The Asteroids-like video game that helps young stars develop hockey skills. Ryan Strome was one of the gamers (and, apparently, a good one). [New York Times]
- In-depth profile by the Star-Tribune's Michael Russo on director of officiating Stephen Walkom and how refs... er, ref.
- Justin Bourne breaks down the top defensive breakdowns of 2013. Not as much Islanders as you'd think, but a lot of fun to spread around. [Backhand Shelf]
- Holiday fun from Arctic Ice Hockey's T.J. Maughan - The 12 Days of Christmas, Winnipeg Jets style.
The other big story of the last few days was the news that both the Red Wings and Maple Leafs are trying to keep the HBO cameras from capturing some of their less-shining moments during the taping of 24/7. Bad news for Randy Carlyle is that the microphones still picked up his "motivational tactics." U mad, bro?
- Islanders News: Limping into Detroit
- [Bits] Duck, Duck, Lose. Plus WJC's, Brunner & Gaborik Out, Hiller Hot, Neuvirth Eager
- Recap - Anaheim Ducks 5 (EN), New York Islanders 3: Blown again.
- [Back-to-Back Bits] Nice win. Now do it again.
- Post-Game Video: Capuano, Grabner relieved in rare Islanders victory