There is no way the Islanders flew Ryan Strome out to Phoenix only to sit him for, oh I don't know, Eric Boulton or something. Even Islanders PR has the green light to underline that.
So this morning we await news on who joins the scapewagon to make room for Strome. (Also, on that note: I guess there was an ESPN chat where they actually ran a question about whether Strome would get 40 points the rest of this season. How about we set realistic expectations, eh?)
- Anyway, Isles official site does the Strome treatment, complete with calling it technically his "first recall." As if there might be more. Get it? [Isles]
- PUT STROME ON YOUR FANTASY TEAM NOW. [nhl.com]
- Strome will wear Eddie Westfall's old number. [The Skinny] If you don't know who Westfall is, we can't be friends. (Seriously though, read up a bit.)
- Scott Pellerin on Johan Sundstrom taking Strome's spot at Bridgeport: ""It's an opportunity for him to play, to continue to develop, to play with confidence, to take charge, to take that next step in his game. It's not going to be easy." [CT Post]
- Not sure what critics will be kept at bay by a shootout win, but here's Newsday on the troubles they still hold.
- Kenny Reiter comes into his own. (Best goalie in the org?) [BST]
- Chris went through the trouble of tracking how many times each Eastern team gave up a quick goal after scoring (spoiler: Isles not so hot), so you better go check it out. BAD JOBE, MCLANNY.
- The New York Islanders have taken a decided step backward. [ESPN/Burnside]
- Isles aren't specifically mentioned here, but duh: Revenue sharing could help small-market NHL teams keep up with rising salary cap - Yahoo Sports Canada
- Brooklyn will save all of us, right? Value of Atlantic Yards Cut Sharply - WSJ.com
NHL and Stuff
- Scott Hartnell is kind of a tool, but in contrast to the 1980s, they apparently call a penalty when you treat a goal against as an excuse to level the goal scorer. [SB Nation]
- You can change! NHL Player Safety Dept. tries to change behavior, not just punish it - Sports - The Boston Globe
- So sad. This is the only way for the Columbus Blue Jackets to get SportsCenter coverage | December | 2013
- Phaneuf finally gets suspended for doing Phaneuf-ian things. [Leafs Nation]
- Cover your eyes: The 10 worst NHL Winter Classic collectables | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports
- Surely, he's right. Just ask Ken Dryden. Jay Rosehill says that if you dislike fighting in hockey, you don't like hockey - Broad Street Hockey
- MAYBE WHEN IT DOESN'T LEAD TO JOHN TAVARES BEING RANKED 26: When will the NHL adopt advanced statistical analysis?
Ryan Strome Love
People are being so hype-frenzied about Strome, we might as well combine it with Star Wars:
Your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight's game may be entered here. Bet you pick Strome.