If you didn't get enough hot shootout action during the New York Islanders' opening weekend, their farm team finished the weekend with the extra-time breakaway drill as well.
John Persson finished the shootout in Bridgeport's 4-3 Sunday home win over Norfolk, with the team killing off a lengthy 5-on-3 at the end of regulation, a unit of Johan Sundstrom, Scott Mayfield and Joe Finley fronting Anders Nilsson, who was forced to make several saves (and make amends for a DiPie-sque puckhandling miscue).
Highlights: 4-3 (SO) over Norfolk, Oct. 6
The bottom six were shuffled slightly from the night before (see below).
Highlights: 5-2 Loss to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Oct. 5
9 Anders Lee-18 Ryan Strome- 39 Joey Diamond
23 John Persson-28 Johan Sundstrom-16 Chris Bruton
72 Jason Clark-19 Riley Wetmore-77 Kirill Kabanov
14 Greg Miller-22 Alan Quine-49 Justin Johnson
12 Calvin de Haan-52 Joe Finley
3 Andrey Pedan-21 Dallas Jackson
27 Aaron Ness-10 Scott Mayfield
Anders Nilsson played both games.
"We don’t know each other 100 percent, but we’re getting closer," Andrey Pedan said. "We’ve got a great team. There are just little things we need to work on, and we’re going to win games."
- More from the weekend, here there and elsewhere:
- On Bridgeport, Michael Fornabaio has quotes from Scott Pellerin on structure improving Sunday, and Joe Finley on standing up after Ryan Strome took a big hit. Also: More in the recap proper.
- Also, linked this above in Pedan's quote, but Fornabaio had the opening night special teams personnel too. And the team faulting itself for too many penalties.
- Here's the view from the Penguins side.
- As for the Islanders (which we covered the win here and the loss here), Newsday has Jack Capuano talking about the third-period blown lead to Columbus, with a focus on how the offense didn't push. Not so much collapse as fail to assert. Also: Decision on Cal Clutterbuck's availability for Tuesday(!) could be made today.
- Even if Clutterbuck comes back, you get the feeling they dig Brock Nelson too much to have him be the roster casualty.
- A few more quotes from the post-game locker room via 7th Woman.
- On the Isles captaincy and continuity.
- And then there was the shootout zamboni incident.
- Catching up with Matt Donovan's father on his son being the first Oklahoman NHLer.
- Thorough Q&A with Butch Goring about the new season at Eyes on Isles.
- College previews note promise for Islanders 2013 goalie draftees Stephon Williams (sophomore Minnesota State) and freshman Eamon McAdam (Penn State) along with forward Taylor Cammarata (Minnesota).
- Tuesday's opponent, the Coyotes, are allowing a lot of shots. Saturday Mike Smith stopped 47 of them.
- Oilers assistant Keith Acton has a few words for John Tortorella.
- On the nature of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' injury, and whether he's coming back too soon given the Oilers' poor center depth.
- MacArthur sounds off on former coach Carlyle - Sportsnet.ca
- Operation Save Wardo: The Thrilling Rescue of Joel Ward - Japers' Rink
- Teemu got another standing ovation in Winnipeg, surely his last appearance as a player there.