It wasn't a dream. The Islanders actually did win that game against the Penguins last night. But that was then. Tonight, the Flyers are waiting at the Coliseum.
Last night's NHL scores, as if you care about anything other than Islanders 4, Pittsburgh 3.
- Arthur Staple's recap talks about the Islanders resiliency against the Penguins, which is becoming a habit. [New$day]
- Staple also talked with Radek Martinek, who hung around Long Island hoping for a spot on the Islanders that eventually opened up like a portal from a far off, infernal dimension full of evil spirits. [New$day]
- Our own Keith Quinn handles the recap at Islanders Point Blank, where some Crankypants commenter doesn't appreciate the humor of the piece. GOOD JOB, KEITH. BAD JOB, CRANKYPANTS. [IPB]
- Our LHH recap here, marveling at hockey's mysterious ways. [LHH]
- The Pittsburgh-Post Gazette's Seth Rorabaugh recaps a "study in contrasts." Fun bit regarding Frans Nielsen: "Sidney Crosby doesn't enjoy playing against him that much." [PPG]
- Thomas Hickey: Tough Guy
- Unrelated to the game: Josh Bailey is among the players in this article about NHLers who are better than you think. So is Brent Burns, who I think we all thought was already pretty darn good. [Intelligent Hockey]
Thomas Hickey has his nose broken in collision with Okposo in 1st. Came back with cage, got 1st pt of season, +3. Best game he's had.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) October 26, 2013
For Once, Let's Talk About the Goaltending:
A pair of stories by a pair of smart dudes writing for a pair of giant corporate monoliths about goalies. Both Sean "Down Goes Brown" McIndoe and Tyler "Mc79hockey" Dellow look at the value of starting goaltenders when trying to either unload or acquire one via trade. tl;dr versions: the value is all over the place. Be careful. [DGB at Grantland] [Dellow for Sportsnet]
- Comrade Mike Keenan is enjoying coaching in the KHL. How do you say, "playing musical goalies" in Russian? [USA Today]
- Comrade Gary Bettman upheld the suspension for Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta and issued a statement that oozes legalese like a Hostess Fruit Pie oozes delicious cherry filling. Documents like this are what Bettman was put on Earth to create. [Sporting News]
- John Scott feels bad for trying to kill Loui Erikkson with his elbow. That's nice. [Buffalo Hockey Beat]
- Hammurabi Code! NHL Style! Copper and Blue spitballs an "Eye for an Eye" disciplinary system for suspensions. Enjoying life without Michael Grabner? How about no Kyle Okposo, either? [C&B]
- Cool long read from On The Forecheck with career minor league hockey player Jeff Winchester. [OTF]
- HEY HEY, MCLEAN! LISTEN! DO YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT NHL TEAM HAS THE MOST GOOD CANADIAN BOYS ON IT? THIS HERE SAYS THE TARRANNA MAPELEAFS GOT THE MOST CANADIANS AND LET ME TELL YA IF BRIAN BURKE WAS STILL RUNNIN' THE TEAM, THE LEAFS WOULD BE A BUNCHA AMERICAN COLLEGE KIDS, CHICKEN SWEDES AND DIRTY RUSSIANS. WHO ELSE IS ON THE LIST? LET'S GO! [CBC]
- Warning: link to a Bleacher Report slideshow. But it's by Jonathan Willis, who usually writes great stuff for the Edmonton Journal. And the subject is a little different, too: how much does your NHL team really matter? [B/R]
FIG Picks for tonight's game may be deposited here.