Yesterday was the day after, of laughter and celebration (and mourning for some). Today things quickly move to full off-season mode for the NHL. The annual awards ceremony is a week from today. The 2012 Draft is in 10 days. The Monday after the draft, qualifying offers are due on restricted free agents. A week later, the silly season known as July 1.
Other happenings and good clips in the Islanders and hockey world:
- The Islanders posted some copy and video of those Garth Snow sessions with prospective season ticket holders.
- As tipped in comments yesterday, Mark Katic is being pursued by Berlin. (Not the band. Though they have a Metro too.) [FanShot talk here] Also, word is Rob Schremp signed with Dinamo Riga, too.
Staple tweeted that the Isles and Sudsie the goalie consultant are parting ways. FanShot discussion here.
- Pretty: Bid on a (scout's) 1982 Stanley Cup ring.
- Odds are already up for next year's Cup winner. Guess who's at the bottom?
Denver and Scott Mayfield on You Can Play
Man, Milan Jurcina really messed up JVR's foot.
More Draft Fun
- In the Isles' continuing draft series, get to know Matt Dumba. (I know from our mock selection that some of you would like to.)
- Speaking of which, SB Nation's mock draft continues here.
- The final update to the weighted "consensus" draft top 100 that Derek Zona has been tracking at NHL Numbers.
- Corey Pronman on the whole Grigorenko question. (Was it all just the mono?)
- Consensus #1 Nail Yakupov on being a Muslim, Don Cherry, the draft combine and playing in Canada | OilersNation
- (Did someone say Cherry? Here he is again: KuklasKorner : KK Hockey : Video- Don Cherry Wants To Know What Was Rob Scuderi Thinking?
Cup and Free Agent Fun
- These top photos of the Kings' celebration are everything you would hope (unless you're a Devils fan).
- Good for Ted Nolan, getting to enjoy the Cup as a daddy.
- The "no Cup since 1967" club is dwindling.
- Quick's daughter stole the show at the post game press conference. Mrs. Lighthouse and I discussed: Is this a diversion because he's shy with the media?
- The Devils' financial straits are constantly in the news, but this run to the finals added an estimated $26 million to the coffers.
- Oilers lock up Klefbom, a hot Swedish prospect they drafted with their pick in the Penner deal.
- Free agent wingers: Who is out there? PAP is out there.
- No longer free agents: Did the Bruins overpay for Chris Kelly after an atypical season?
- Well, are they? Are The Leafs Shopping Luke Schenn? | The LeafsNation
- Who were the good values on the Rangers? (2012 Goals Versus Salaries)
- The eternal: Does Size Matter in the NHL Draft? | NHLNumbers.com
- More teams using advanced stats in scouting?: The Gauntlet Sports - Hockey talent below the surface
- Rob Vollman (who's behind those cool player usage charts) shoots a video to narrate the rationale behind Corsi. Don't be scared.