Last night in the NHL was rather insane, with the Rangers and Devils engaging in an opening faceoff gong show -- three fights -- Washington winning a big game in Detroit, and disappointing playoff aspirant San Jose laying an egg at home to the rival Ducks. (Also odd: Bruno Gervais and Trevor Smith each scored for Tampa Bay.)
Speaking of eggs laid: Tonight's Islanders opponent, the Maple Leafs, absolutely collapsed in an 8-0 laugher in Boston. Mike Komisarek fought Milan Lucic and took a beating.
Meanwhile, closer to home: Evgeni Nabokov in Newsday on his contract status ("between [the agent and Snow]") and such: "We're not here to mentor anybody. ... If I stay, I'm here to play and win games."
Remember the talk in these parts that Nabokov's numbers were due to regress -- mostly because of his wildly high PK numbers? Yeah, about that...
More Islanders Links
- Ryan Strome and Niagara are ready to roll in the playoffs. The team's collective focus on the defensive side bodes well for Strome's NHL future.
- IPB/SNY TV: Botta with Noodles.
- Shane at The Checking Line writes that Josh Bailey is emerging. Rob McGowan praises Travis Hamonic.
- The official site dubs the week's three prospect stars as Brock Nelson, Andrei Pedan and Brenden Kichton. (For more on da utes, I mean youth, here's our weekly prospect roundup.)
- Habs multimedia after their shootout loss to the Isles.
- Speaking of which, things I never expected to read written by anyone, anywhere, this side of an anonymous message board at least: "It is not an exaggeration to describe Cole as one of the best free-agent signings ever, in any sport."
- The Hockey Club from Montreal felt good about their effort in a back-to-back, and third in four.
- Yours truly at SB Nation's NHL hub: Why Alexander Radulov's return to the NHL's Nashville Predators is good for Radulov, good for the Preds, and bad for the NHL.
- Compared Stamkos? How does Steven Stamkos’ 50 goal season (so far) stack up against the best offensive years of all-time? | Backhand Shelf
- One reason (of many) Blues fans love T.J. Oshie [gif]
- A bracket pick' em thing for the upcoming NCAA hockey tourney.
- Food: Does it take Different Amounts of Time to assess a Player's Talent? - Arctic Ice Hockey
- Thought: Does it take Different Amounts of Time to assess a Player's Talent? - Arctic Ice Hockey
The proper game preview will be up later. If you're looking for First Islanders Goal picks, leave them in this thread.