As mentioned in the last two posts, the press conference officially announcing John Tavares' new deal is today at 1 p.m. EDT.
It will stream live at the official site, where the two recent rookie games with the Bruins are also now available on archive to keep you occupied
Linked the following post from Puck Daddy yesterday, but it really is a good read. Extensive thoughts from Tavares -- from last week -- about why he likes Long Island, the team, management, and how he's raised expectations this year:
"[Long Island is] a beautiful place to live. It's a fantastic … It's New York. We're a half an hour from New York City. So much to do. Obviously the food's the best part about New York, because everyone doesn't like to cook so much. They like to go out to eat. And then we get treated great in our organization. Charles and Garth have done a great job in creating a great atmosphere for us. We're treated really well. Guys come here, they enjoy playing here"
More Tavares reaction coverage, plus other hockey news, below. Since the presser will be streamed, I won't be live-blogging comments. But I'll take notes if anything of importance emerges.
Here's the Post on the $33 million deal. And here's Newsday. ESPN here. Here's the usual "better get some help" piece. Marek: "Tavares is that guy."
NYI Blogs Corverage: NYIFYI | Eyes on the Isles | Okposo Net on Tavares and rookies to watch | 7th Woman with that great photo booth shot of Tavares and Michael Grabner.
- Proving nobody beats the Wiz, you know who else signed for 6/$33 million this summer?
- So Tavares is done. Who's next? Josh Bailey's agent tells Arthur Staple they're still needing to find some common ground. Hmm. Meanwhile, Katie Strang reports Garth Snow told her the deadline for Bailey to sign is tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. (vets are due in camp tomorrow).
- So Tavares is signed. Which team will play in Quebec in two years?
- Phil Kessel is grateful for "face time" with the Flyers. He agreed to an ELC with them yesterday, and apparently they're right at the 50-contract limit.
- Hockey This Week show at the Coliseum?
- Baltimore developer eyeing the Coliseum?
- FanPost: Is it standings prediction time? Apparently it's standings prediction time. Everybody having their say here.
- ...and now time for the top 300 projected scorers. [TSN]
- With Tavares inked, Jewels from the Crown faithful ask what, on earth, is up with Drew Doughty.
- The CBJ are trying to arrange a deal that would keep them in Columbus until 2039.
- Clearing up just what's going on with the Dallas Stars bankruptcy.
- Wayback Machine: When NHLers opposed mandatory helmet rule. [leafsnation]
- EA NHL history fun: Japanese-inspired?
- NHL will be implementing a social media policy, including a "blackout" before and during games. Original source here.
- Arctic Ice (formerly Behind the Net): Can you win with the worst offense in hockey?
Enjoy the press conference if you get the chance to see it. (What's that boss? Nah, I'm busy.)