7th Woman has a nice recap with pictures from last night's Forbidden Meetup, which ended up featuring the OT win over the Sabres instead of the 9-3 castration of the Penguins.
But since the latter is not to be discussed nor rebroadcast and is officially an ungame, and since national media consider it a disgrace to even discuss it in positive terms, we're doing a public service by posting the NHL highlights of the game, which included no less than 16 non-fight events deemed worthy of acknowledging on the league's official highlight reel (there'd have been more saves and hits if there weren't so many...goals). These events include:
- Michael Grabner penalty shot (denied)
- Grabner and John Tavares' 20th goals of the season.
- Micheal Haley's brilliant streak up the ice to turn Kris Letang around for his 1st NHL goal.
Since the NHL tacitly endorses and promotes fighting while officially condemning it, none of that is featured below.
Based on national descriptions of the game from the ignorant pulpit and those who pretend "a game like this" was merely a brawl-fest, it's shocking to see this game could have so much hockey in it, isn't it? At least some observers got it.
News and Links
Here's some links and news of note from the past few days:
- This list is wonderfully flawed: Relocation: Houston scores high for the NHL, but Canada is way down the list
- This is what's known as link bait, and I'm sure we won't win - but thanks to whoever nominated Lighthouse Hockey: Most Valuable Blogger " CBS New York
- Kasper the Friendly Coach: Kasparaitis as Coach - Elitserien
- My description of what the Islanders face. I do not agree with the description of Trevor Gillies. Daria Themed NHL Previews- The New York Islanders | August
- Brendan Shanahan pledges to [not be Colin Campbell]: Shanahan promises transparency as disciplinarian - Yahoo! Sports
- Some seriously bold predictions here: 2011-12 Fearless Forecasts [Dobber Hockey]
@Schultz88: This is probably the worst hockey card ever. Agreed. Poor Mariusz.
- Where shots go: Shot Through the Chart - Pension Plan Puppets
- So Corsi and what-not -- how does one know what's a good "average" number in such categories? Context - Arctic Ice Hockey
- On enforcers, whose work is not to be celebrated: Who Are The Goons and Who Do They Fight - Pension Plan Puppets
- On Hansons: The Hansons could score | mc79hockey.com
The Week at LHH
And here are some topics of discussion from the last week around these here parts. Thanks to everyone for keeping the topics and discussions interesting.
- So [English bank of some sort] Arena execs from Brooklyn met with the NHL about something (preseason games maybe?). Fanshot discussion and multiple links here.
- E.J. Hradek thinks the Islanders are close, but still not close enough for a playoff run.
- Eyeing the 2012 draft and its defensemen.
Some Recent FanPosts:
- If only Denis Potvins grew on trees. Islanders Need a Denis Potvin for this Era.
- Help a brother out: How best to watch Isles games out of state, anyone?
- Why Mark Streit should be expected to come back in reasonably good form.
- Alexander Semin. Would you?
Frans Nielsen: Great, right?
Center Column Content:
- Debating opening night lineup -- will Haley and Martin fight for the same spot?
- Are people underestimating Al Montoya's talent?
- Training camp dates and rookie invitees.
- My meandering rant about the cursed Coliseum lease and political stalemates.
- If the Islanders had picked someone else in the drafts, 2006-11.
- For people who think the East is too strong for the Islanders to compete.
- On Josh Bailey's expected salary range, based on the Mikkel Boedker signing.
- Remembering when Mike Milbury canned the current Sabres GM.