As arbitration season begins, we're starting to see contracts come in that hint at what the ballpark will be for Blake Comeau and Josh Bailey. When considering these two players and their likely deals, it's important to remember that Comeau is arbitration-eligible (and has elected for arbitration) while Bailey is coming off his three-year ELC and was not eligible for arbitration. Those are different levels of leverage -- and of course Comeau is coming off a 24-goal season.
The following players are all different of course, but this gives you an idea of the money and term range for some young players whose value is still uncertain and quite debatable.
Arbitration-bound: For players in similar situations to Comeau, we've seen: Andrew Cogliano, 24, avoid arbitration to receive a three-year deal with a $2.39 million cap hit from the Ducks after the Oilers bailed on him; Blake Wheeler, 24, receive a two-year deal with a $2.55 million cap hit to avoid arbitration. Teddy Purcell also signed for two years to avoid arbitration this morning with the Lightning, figures pending [Update: 2 years, $4.725 million].
At another level above these guys are the arbitration-bound cases of Rangers Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan, who are seen as better than this group and are generally expected to receive higher dollars whether or not they make it to arbitration.
- Matt Martin's turn: Road to the Coliseum: Matt Martin - New York Islanders - News
- Arena talk now... What do you make of Newsday's coverage? NY Islanders 7th Woman: Arena Things that Made Me Go Hmmmmm...
- ...and some numbers: Let There Be Light(house): Updated Numbers, Criticisms, and a Big Retraction (Al Gore Weeps)
- ... and an argument I've heard quite a lot from young Long Islanders, very well presented by Kevin Schultz at IPB. I'm a carpetbagger, so I can only watch from afar and feel bad.
- Skates On a Plane, summer-style: An Offseason Post (Finally)! [Skates On A Plane]
- Pro Hockey Talk takes a look at Garth Snow's tenure, gets effluvia in comments.
- Icethetics concept: Someone puts black in the NYI uni.
- Oilers fans discuss WTH with the trade for Andy Sutton.
- Archive of Fornabaio's Sound Tigers chat yesterday.
- No! Voice of the Islander Fans: NHL Free Agency: Why the Islanders Should do Everything to get Drew Doughty. (We also have a Doughty thread here, for those who like to gamble.)
- Since this comes up quite a lot: What the CBA has to say (or not say) about not reaching the lower limit (floor) in the payroll range.
- The verdict is in: Peter DeBoer is a "seemingly good head coach hire." Et tu?
- Stamkos signs for a ton of money and not a lot of years. Puck Daddy here. LHH FanShot discussion here.
- Fantastic cartoon and setup by the one and only Earl Sleek.
- Arctic Ice is not so happy about the Shiefele overdraft, and here's one reason why.
- Heh. 12 Things Anthony Stewart would rather do than pass it to Bulis; a guest post by Anthony Stewart | Vancouver Sun Sports Blogs
- Interesting question: Cullen: Which NHL fighters are the most productive players?
- Devils talk: On Stats, Narratives, and the New Jersey Devils - In Lou We Trust
- Winning! Paradigm Shift? The evolving relationship between outshooting and winning | Edmonton Journal
- I did not find this article helpful, honestly. League's best at doing some of the little things - NHL.com - NHL Insider
- Your daily LOLFlyers: Flyers to pay $1.4 million in overages vs. salary cap next season: What's that mean? - Broad Street Hockey
- Your annual LOLZherdev: Zherdev to KHL?
Not bleeding money: Buffalo. Sabres over the cap...will need to move players
Unrelated But Cool
A bunch of Southern/Atlanta-area natives recall the strange events of that city hosting the Olympics, 15 years ago.