The news of the day from the resumption of Islanders camp was Nino Niederreiter (groin) and Trevor Gillies (groin) being placed on Injured Reserve. Gillies' injury is news; Niederreiter had nursed the groin issue since leaving Friday's preseason game early, so this is a prudent move.
Both in effect narrow the Islanders roster further in terms of who is still around opening night: Going on IR now
means missing the first week of the season [edit: Scratch that. Just saw these IR placements are "retroactive" to Sept. 30, so presumably the clock started then. That doesn't mean they have to be taken off in 7 days though, obviously -- just that they can.]. If you revisit our depth chart from Sunday's cuts, that means there is room for incumbent Matt Martin, newcomer Trevor Frischmon, and even unsigned tryout Jay Pandolfo (if you also cut the eigth defenseman).
That's also assuming junior kids Ryan Strome (who doesn't have a contract) and Kirill Kabanov (who does) are also left behind, and that Brian Rolston's (a fellow sufferer of groinus achus) recovery is for real:
Injured Reserve: Jeremy Colliton, Rhett Rakhshani, Nino Niederreiter, Trevor Gillies. (Also: D-man Mark Katic) As for Gillies, I don't remember when he got hurt, but every day he receives pay at the NHL rate is thanks for job well done in my book.
As we discussed in that previous rosterizing thread, the placement of Frischmon, Rolston, Martin -- and Bailey and Comeau for that matter -- does not really fit neatly in the above LW-C-RW grid format. Someone is going to have to play out of their most familiar position, or the Islanders are going to need to get a vat of that Instant Right Wing Comfort ointment I keep seeing ads about in my spam folder.
Decision-time, by the way, is Wednesday.
Other News and Links
Michael Fornabaio has the lines and notes from the first day of camp in Bridgeport. Coach is pleased. Players are working
hardhahd. Here are the HockeyDB stats for the one addition, Cousin Langkow.
- It's starting to look like Jack Hillen, on a two-way deal, will make the Predators roster.
- Newsday with more on Rolston.
- And also has Capuano on the roster: Every day it's subject to change.
Some prospect pulp notes: Lee, Russo, ROSEN! More here.
- MORE prospect pulp! Brock Nelson was first star for UND, but they beat up on someone named Regina.
- The latest Isles-to-Queens-but-no scuttlebutt, via LHH FanShot.
- You knew the Islanders were big injury sufferers last year. You might not know that, all in all the players they lost did have significant value.
- But all those guys coming back are good. For your fantasy.
- Justin Bourne debuts his new venue at The Score by featuring WebBard's Frans Nielsen video. Why, I remember when Bourne wasn't a full believer in the Church of Frans. /evangelist's pomposity
Mc79hockey on CBA, salary floor, Brooks.
- Finally, I don't know if they can keep up with it, but all your Shanabans are -- for once -- NOT belong to us.
Tow days until roster D-Day. Five days until this Sim gets real.