Last night John Tavares leaped healthy scratch Blake Comeau and retired ex-Isles Kenny Jonsson, and Bryan Smolinski for a 46th-place tie on the Islanders all-time goal list with 58.
The Enigma Oleg Kvasha is next in his sights, and two-time 30-goal scorer Matt Moulson is only five goals ahead.
That and other news in our Sunday links...
Tons of coverage of the win over the Rangers:
- The Emergency Goaltender: This Knicks/Mets fan's introduction to hockey continues. I am familiar with his near-divorce feelings of disenchantment with sports (and here I spend how many hours on hockey?). So it's really fun to read about someone getting hooked on this game.
Staples recap in Newsday focuses on some guy with a hat trick. No mention of Comeau there, but some here in the bit on Nabokov's night. Also: Official site | ESPN with Tortorella quotes | "Rapid Reaction" (ESPN) | Inside Hockey | The Post, quoting Parenteau: "He's Johnny Tavares, you know?"
- Our LHH recap and plus/minus thread.
- Sporting News: Loss to Islanders should serve as warning to Rangers
- Updated - More mid-day additions: Talk of being a one-line team from McGowan and 7th Woman
- More rivalry talk in the Post and Newsday and in this FanPost. Tavares: "When you go out and meet the fans around here, there's one thing they always say: 'Beat the Rangers.'"
- Evgeni Nabokov Starts: Puck Daddy (who quotes us, so this is sort of meta or something) | Newsday
- It's kind of funny to read this Red Fisher note about Tavares and realize that it was written before last night's hat trick.
Bridgeport Coverage: A shootout win last night, with Kevin Poulin making 41 saves | JP's +/- from watching them Friday night | UPDATE: Video highlights of last night's shootout win
- Fights in history: Dave Scatchard vs. Adam Mair from 2003.
Some prospect talk on Anders Lee and Scott Mayfield. Mark will have more later.
Happy victory-savoring Sunday. Come back later for prospect talk.