I was on one last outdoorsy off-the-grid trip from Friday through Monday night, so it was a bummer to log back on and learn Kirill Kabanov's first act as a pro was to show up late and be held off the ice as punishment.
But I couldn't help getting a hearty laugh from Scott Gordon playing the role of chiding father, as reported by Newsday [$5 please]: "When asked if he was disappointed by Kabanov's behavior, Gordon said, "Not as disappointed as he's going to be."
Nice. Glad they dealt with him swiftly. Hopefully he doesn't need more strikes. Since I'm still catching up and loafing on the job was topic du jour, how about some links, in case there's anything you've missed? More stuff later, but for now:
- In the first day of (prospect) camp, according to Nino Scott Gordon focused on your favorite nebulous hockey buzzword.
- Speaking of whom, the latter's comments to Chris Botta make the former sound like he'll get the full 9-game trial LHH voters expected. (Not that he needs a contract before camp, though.)
- Expect Rick DiPietro and a strong lineup for the Saskatoon game at the end of the month. ... But, following a trend, the Sporting News preview for the Isles puts undue emphasis on DiPietro. ... 7th Woman's interview with Rick DiPietro (Fanshotted by WebBard here), included a great domestic tranquility line about releasing pent-up frustration.
- Hilarious non-Isles link at C&B: The Oilers, they continue to entertain, don't they?
- The topic of Josh Bailey's intelligence/level-headedness/what you will came up in comments to our previous post, so I don't know how many saw this nhl.com interview about getting stronger and making the team as a draftee.
- More on Steve Webb's epic charity bike ride at nhl.com
- From Friday: The official site on how Trent Hunter woke up one year and found he wasn't a kid anymore. Also: Funny Daily News article on the Fehr situation that reveals (to me) Bruno Gervais is the team's union rep now.
- NESN's "Islanders to watch" at the rookie games this week include Casey Cizikas but do not include Comrade Kabanov.
If you're new(ish) here, these "Bits"/link dumps will occur more frequently during the season...when there's news. However, as always, please consider them as a spot you can add (and discuss) other relevant links in comments, and please keep adding links via the FanShot tool, where people often find (and discuss) good links before I do.