Much, much virtual ink hath spilled over the surprising (at least somewhat...right?) announcement this morning that Josh Bailey would be home for the holidays. Doug Weight is still on IR and Bailey's recall means he's here to stay, so this means that when Matt Martin's two-game suspension is up, barring further injury (ha! Good one.), the Isles will return to having one extra healthy forward. It's worth noting that even despite his offensive struggles, Bailey was still on balance one of the Islanders' better two-way forwards. Now healthy and confident, this should help on-ice results.
What follows are various reaction links to the Bailey recall, including Michael Fornabaio's thoughts on just how much he meant to the Sound Tigers in the 11 games (17 points) he played there.
IslandersSound Tigers were 6-2-1-2 with Bailey; take out a SOL if you discount the game in which he left with an injury. [Fornabaio/Sounding Off]
- Capuano watched film of the BPT games and thinks Bailey has done everything asked of him. Bailey, obviously, is thrilled to be back. [Isles official site]
- Bailey spoke with Snow before the Bridgeport break and went home to Ontario -- then Martin got suspended. [Newsday/Staple]
- Bailey had zero points in his last 13 NHL games. [TheSkinny]
- But he thinks the points he put up in the A bode well for his confidence. [NHL.com]
- At least I wasn't the only one out on the limb thinking Bailey wouldn't be recalled after Martin's suspension [NYIFYI]
- Happy to have Bailey back but quite troubled by DiPietro's knee swelling [Hockey Crazy]
- Zhora's FanShot on this site
- Eye on the Isles does the inevitable Kotter theme
- As has been asked many times by callers, Charles Wang -- and Garth Snow -- will be on the NHL Hour on NHL Home Ice Thursday in the 6 p.m to 7 p.m. EST time slot. There are obvious future-implicating questions fans are burning to hear answered from Wang. In a studio where three people know how to hold their cards close and choose words carefully in public, it will be interesting to see if any light is shed.
- Going to the game tonight? LHH member FB4Real (for real!) says give him a shout.
- Leave your own NHL Santa letters, per DGB [FanShot here]
- As discussed in the earlier thread (hallelujah) and in Anarcurt's FanShot, Brock Nelson made the USA WJC team.
We now return to our usual hemming, hawing, Monty Python jokes, and debates about Nicolas Cage's career.