It's the second morning of Tavares as Islander, and it still feels goooood.
Extending the celebration (for me, anyway), I've been invited to chime in for a segment on the weekly Kurtenbloggers show around 2 p.m. EDT for Vancouver's Team 1040 radio. Those guys run the great Orland Kurtenblog and the entertaining radio show. They want to hear how fans have reacted to the big moment, among other things.
Since starting this blog in October, I've encountered Islanders fans from the West Coast all the wasy to Eastern Europe (and you Asian visitors are encouraged to weigh in, too.) So I'll try do everyone justice, relaying the enthusiasm that was unleashed Friday -- and share the link to archived audio afterward.
Meanwhile, I'm gearing up for part draft review, part free agency anticipation. (In addition to the market, I'd like to get a community report card for UFA Andy Hilbert up before July 1.) This is going to be a busy week.
Some links to pursue, of Tavares, draft and beyond, after the jump...
- Many of these Tavares quotes we posted late Friday, but some more from Logan and how he'll be under Gordon.
- Logan's Day 2 draft recap, with a focus on the goalies and some explanations from Jankowski.
- The absolutely expected and oft-told bit about Tavares' lacrosse star uncle, now for local audience.
- Wang, tempering expectations: "This is no Jesus-savior kind of thing."
- Tavares' business impact immediately felt. (Same story linked in yesterday's FanShot)
- Botta has a great Q&A with Snow on the De Haan moves, Taveres, and the goalie picks.
- B.D. with more support for the De Haan move-up, plus free agency spec.
- Day 2 review from NYI Five Hole.
- Tiger Track has more video from the blogger invasion of Montreal [Part II, and (w/ contest winners) Part III]
- Rally cry from 7th Woman.
On that note, two videos of what The Moment was like at the Islanders Draft Party (think I have dust in my eye here):
- Free agent scuttlebutt (Yes, it's Tuesday) on Hossa, Sedins, Koivu, more. [Pierre LeBrun]
- Mirtle breaks down the country of origin for the picks in the 2009 draft.
- Lowetide thinks the Oilers are about to attempt something big.
Flames blog Matchsticks and Gasoline (does that name ever get old? No.) weighs the Boewmeester proposition.