So the Islanders stole a win they didn't deserve (save for Peter Mannino), but they're still four points behind Tampa Bay, six behind Atlanta and Phoenix, and seven behind Colorado in the parlor-game lottery watch.
Games before the Islanders next play Friday: Atlanta (Mon. vs. Was, Tue. in Pit); Tampa Bay (Tue. vs. Tor, Thurs. vs. Was); Phoenix (Tue. vs. SJ, Thurs. vs. Ana); Colorado (Tue. at Min, Thurs. vs. Edm).
- Chris Botta says the Islanders' retro-thirds likely will not be approved as the main threads until 2010-11. You know, 'cause these things take time.
- Speaking of the retro-thirds and general RBK (vowels not included) abomination, Corey Witt has RBK's story on the thirds' stupid interrupted sock stripes: A "manufacturing mistake." Right. Like no one looked at them at the factory? Does that explain the dumb socks on the Flames, Lightning, and others, too? I hate you, R(ee)b(o)k. Look for my long-promised, never-delivered opus on RBK later this week.
- NHL GMs don't much care for players' opinions on rules, and it's creating resentment on both sides. Some partnership, huh?
- The Blackhawks: "team without a clue" in their loss to the Islanders [Chicago Trib.] Second City Hockey also saw ugliness.
- Old captain "McNulty" Guerin had 1g, 2a in the Pens' big win over Boston.
- Minnesota's Andrew Brunette is playing with a torn ACL. And you, Marian? [Hockey Wilderness]
- The Sabres need points but lost a win in the dying seconds Saturday. But you can't blame Patrick Lalime for their struggles. [Die by the Blade]
- Tom o' Tiger Track cleared the Bailey "healthy scratch" thing up with Gord Miller. Advantage: Tom.