So the Islanders blew their shot at playing playoff spoilers. They get another chance tonight, hosting the Hurricanes -- five points out of eighth, trying to climb back in -- and they'll have one more crack at wounding the Rangers March 5 at home.
Game Summary | Event Summary | nhl.com Recap (AP)
If Yann Danis doesn't let that Gomez flubber in, who knows what happens? Since the Islanders couldn't manage another goal, probably just another shootout where no one is a loser because the people demand a winner. Sean Bergenheim's knee is hurting after the idiotic knee-to-knee hit by Rangers minor league D-man Eric Reitz, who courageously let little Petr Prucha do his fighting for him. Nice.
- The Rangers "got lucky." No argument. These two teams seem like the goal-less draw type. [NY Daily News]
- The Islanders "competed." Again, no argument. They just didn't score. [Newsday]
- No really, the Rangers got lucky. Stick with the narrative! [Newsday/Zipay]
- The Rangers had a pulse, they were "into it," said Drury. As was the little-used Prucha, the object of some Isles fans' desire. [NYT]
Lundqvist: "Felt weird to go into the third period with a lead." [NY Post]
- Streit enjoying Long Island, talking about how the Rangers jumped the gun and ended up with Redden. Ha! [NY Daily News]
- Did someone mention Redden and Streit? About that going for the "bigger" name for more money... [Newsday]
- Rangers fans are understandably happy with Prucha and wish management would be, too. [Hockey Rodent | Scotty Hockey]
More on tonight's match later.