Tonight is the blue/white scrimmage (tune in here for the game thread) as prospect mini-camp continues. But first we have some pleasant readings, as well as a rant based off an unpleasant one.
In Which Frans Nielsen Struggles to Crack the Lineup, Or Is a Wing, Maybe
This is what happens when the Internet and content farms turn every paid writer into a slideshow-making, list-whoring mess of a robot: In a ranking of NHL teams at the center position, Allan Muir of Swimsuits Illustrated puts the Islanders at 13 without including Frans Nielsen.
Cizikas quietly emerged as a solid depth center. The question mark is Strome—a legitimate top-six talent, he has to prove that he can handle the two-way rigors of a second-line role. If he's not up to the task, Frans Nielsen likely slides back into the mix.
Honestly, if I had to put together such a ranking, I'd have to do considerable homework and hemming and hawing to figure out where each team stacks up. But then the reason profitable(?) outlets make lists and slideshows is because the labor-to-eyeball ratio is low: They are not supposed to be well-researched, only well-clicked. (Aside: Please click the fanposts to the right to see the 20 Hottest Naked Hockey Wives Who Will Also Tell You Weight Loss Secrets.)
So I'll be charitable and assume this was handled by an intern, or under duress from bastard editors shouting "GIVE US MORE LISTS! MOAR!" right before he headed out for vacation. Yeah.
Tweet of Camp
@rickstan9 Guys were doing drills. Anyone who tells you they saw something from a prospect today is trying too hard to get your attention.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) July 9, 2014
Back to Programming
- The official site features "getting to know" Q&As with Michael Dal Colle and Kyle Burroughs. [Isles]
- Pretty shots from Day 2 at camp. [Isles]
- Straight outta Compton gets some good quotes from Josh Ho-Sang. [NHL]
- At Newsday, Arthur Staple breaks down the glut of defensemen who will vie for jobs. [New$day]
- Also on that topic, Christian Anthony at IPB. [IPB]
- For the season ticket holders (and prospective STH): Have you heard much info about packages in Brooklyn? Outrageous, or...? Talk about it over here.
- The Isles win the Cup! Hornick posts when NHL Network will air their Cup clinchers this summer. [Skinny]
- Speaking of which, last night was our first live Retro Game Thread -- not a Cup clincher, but an essential one as the Isles dodged disaster in 1982 Game 5 vs. Pittsburgh. It went well. Let us know what you think for future ones. [LHH]
Not Exactly Islanders News
- The AHL approved its annual realignment. Welcome to the party, Syracuse. You're screwed, Iowa. [AHL Twitter]
- Cory Schneider signed his 7-year, $42 million extension to not back up Roberto Luongo or Martin Brodeur. Although he didn't get that last part in writing.
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane signed massive extensions, but the cap impact is hopefully manageable over the next 12 months...maybe? [Hockee Night]
- Someone gave Dany Heatley-cheechoo work. [NHL]
- But yesterday was dominated by reports Sidney Crosby will have wrist surgery, except maybe not, and it's all because of an injury he played (but didn't really produce) through in the playoffs. [Post-Gazette]
- What does Ottawa do after the Spezza trade? [SIlver Seven]
- Are shots on the rush more effective/dangerous? [Hockey Analysis]
- Jiri Sekac knows he might not make the NHL with the Habs right away. [NHL]
Marc Savard golfs lefty now, and is good. [WPG Sun]
- Ryan Callahan helped recruit Rangers to Tampa Bay. Hopefully that's just Step 1 in his grand sabotage plan. [NHL]
See you 'round tonight, where prospect judgments will be made!