Good morning. Since apparently this is worrying some people because Islanders, an obligatory update: Generalisimo Jaroslav Halak is still unsigned.
- The World Championships start Friday in Belarus. Catch lots of hot U.S. action with Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan and Colin McDonald. [Isles]
- So you're 40, you drink beer while watching games from your couch, and you're not quite sure what happened to your life. The Junior Islanders Tryouts are not for you. But maybe you can foist unreasonable expectations upon your son? To make up for your shortcomings?
- That Tristan Jarry was a key in enabling Griffin Reinhart's Oil Kings to tie the WHL final series at 2-2 and send it back to Portland. [Edm. Journal]
- Peruse some game-worn Bridgeport jerseys, if that's your pleasure [eBay]
Ex-Islanders: The Flyers promoted Ron Hextall to GM, meaning the 1997 Flyers Cup finals goalie tandem will be rival GMs ripe for a Terry Murray "choking situation." Hextall praised the Andrew MacDonald contract, because what else was he gonna do?
Here’s Hextall on the Andrew MacDonald signing. Don’t love this. pic.twitter.com/aLNtfw0aq0— Broad Street Hockey (@BroadStHockey) May 7, 2014
The good news: The Rangers are on the brink of elimination.
The bad news: The Penguins are on the verge of advancing to the third round.
So it goes. Last year that resulted in a gratifying sweep of the Pens in the conference finals. An Islanders fan will take what schadenfreude may come.
Brooks Orpik was hurt again last night. That actually might help the Penguins.
Rangers fans are being Rangers fans, booing their most recent shiny acquisition. It's all rather awesome and gets filed in the "but we demand excellence" and "Tortorella is a REAL coach" and whatever narratives mask the fact their just an NHL team trying but failing to get near the top.
The Smurfs lost at home to fall behind 3-1 in the series, so...
"Now get the hell out so we can set up our court for tomorrow." - The NY Liberty to the Rangers just now.— Dan Saraceni (@cultureoflosing) May 8, 2014
- More dumping of the dump and chase: How to measure forechecking and puck retrieval. [Outnumbered]
- The NHL coaching carousel is wonderful and never ending, so Dave King muses on how the job has changed. [Globe and Mail]
- The Monarchs are parting with their longtime (and successful) coach. [Soundin' Off]
- The James Wisniewski Experience (no, not that one) is a perfect example why players are culpable in the whole concussion protocol/lawsuit issue. The same union whose members go headhunting but don't want severe severe suspensions also has members who ignore the protocol created to protect them.
- A bunch of NHL legacy names claimed in the USHL Draft. [NHL]
- Remembering the retiring Marek Malik, who starred in the longest shootout. [Puck Daddy]