Lest you be terrified by what happened last night, comfort yourself with this thought: The next four Rangers losses will lead to delicious heartbreak, and an end to New York radio's very sporadic and ill-informed notice that hockey is a thing. Oh, and the Isles' beatwriter gets to cover it.
That's my approach, anyway. To think otherwise is to think classy Martin St. Louis would demand a trade due to hurt feelings, or something.
- Garth Snow was on the morning show of NHL Home Ice on XM yesterday. JP provided a summation in comments yesterday. Here's the audio (of Snow. Not JP.). Topics: No-brainer deferring the pick owed to Buffalo; Griff; Halak, Halak, Jayhawk; Tavares; ...and goaltending!
- All throughout the Anders Lee "will he loophole?" saga, my chief solace was that his desire to finish his degree would keep him from exiting school just to alter his leverage. Mission accomplished, for him and Kevin Czuczman. [Isles]
- You may have heard, Griffin Reinhart had a good playoff. That and other prospect updates. [HF]
- You may have heard this before: Josh Bailey and Nino Niederreiter were
- Some free agent targets for the Isles, yeah? [Isles Insight]
- Are Wild fans who have been told that Thomas Vanek would sign with their team, overreacting to his playoff while concluding he should not sign with their team? (Wild fans, overreact? Never.) [Hockey Wilderness, now under new new management]
- Speaking of neurosis...maybe like this could all pave the way for Vanek to return, eh? You betcha? [TCL]
Not Exactly Islanders
- Going beyond Isles mistakes to other league mistakes...Our own Chris "10 minutes of your life" McNally set the trend this week: Let's revisit more drafts! ESPN [Insider] does 2009, while Two Pad Stack does 2008. I believe a young Jack Capuano is time shifting in the center of the photo on that last one.
- Meanwhile, in order to avoid those mistakes of happenstance and chance, teams go to the draft combine to raise red flags. [THN]
- Or they have kids like Sonny Milano display very useful skills, surely. [KK]
- So the Sharks should part with Joe Thornton now? [CSN]
- What can you fit in the Stanley Cup? [Answer: Not any Smurfs, despite their diminutive stature.] [Sporting News]
- James Mirtle on why the NHL's culture of
late hits"finishing your check" is still a problem. [G&M]
- Michael Fornabaio noted that Eric Wellwood retired, and brought up his scary and unfortunate career end on Bridgeport ice.
- Sometimes, the headline is enough: Edmonton Oilers may be looking at Deryk Engelland, because of course they are | OilersNation
Apparently it is an annual summer tradition at LHH for us to tear apart each other's taste in music or film, because even arguing over Josh Bailey or rehashing the Nino trade gets tedious. (No really! It does!) Yesterday, Oasis and Tom Hanks were two points of contention. This is not Oasis: