Good morning. There is no real Islanders news, but as always that won't prevent us from discussing the team all day and all night. Before the links, though, a PSA: The Hockey News [THN WARNING], which is better known as What's Been Grinding Ken Campbell's Gears for 30 Years, published some "rankings" or "book of lists" issue.
They ranked all 30 franchises in 10 categories (even Fenwick Close!) with (mostly) random scoring. Then they made Campbell write up most of the articles, per usual. Just thought you should know. (The Isles ranked 29th, ahead of Florida, and the Lightning were deemed to have the fifth-best jersey in hockey.)
Some vaguely Islanders-ish reading:
- For fantasy purposes, who's better: Frans Nielsen or Jiri Hudler? For reality purposes...WTF?
- The adventures of Lego John Tavares. [What's Up Ya Sieve]
Some reading from beyond:
- In the playoffs, the Rangers' coronation as NHL Runners Up 2014 was delayed by a Montreal win in a zany, high-scoring, no-goaltending affair that might yield another suspension. Here are some gifs and stuff.
- Meanwhile: Who will help poor Corey Crawford?
- Hey, do we need goalies? Goaltenders On The Rise For 2014 NHL Draft
- Hey, do we need free agents? Latest on NHL's top 14 unrestricted free agents - Sportsnet.ca
- Canucks fans are whaling on their team's scouting, and here's the latest attack: Ron Delorme vs. 29 other scouting departments.
- In case you want an index of every player ever drafted since 1963 (even Cody Rosen!), this is that. [Leafs Nation]
- This was funny: A former Capitals employee really hates their choice for new GM. [Wa. Post]
- The Blues acquired Ryan Miller, then let him go but hired his old goalie coach. [Blues]
- Sharks masochist "Megaladon" is no more, because apparently you can write about video games for money. [BOC]
- Math and stuff: Why NHL players peak before age 28 or 29, and why any analysis of the data can change on small variables. [Wa Post.]
- A worthy question, with enough answers to make it all true yet ambiguous: What Does It Mean To Be "Soft On The Puck"? - Pension Plan Puppets
- THIS IS MORE LIKE IT, MR. DUHATSCHEK. The veteran writer tells a story from the 2008 draft, when the Kings took Drew Doughty while a few thought Bogosian or Pietrangelo would be better, and no one except those who rip the Isles just because thought Schenn was in their class. [Globe and Mail]
- Kerry Fraser discusses some memorable humorous moments from his career, including one that involved a Minnesota team before the Wild?! (This happened? What did they do with their team? Did they ever make a Cup final?)
- The NHL 15 cover vote is probably rigged. [SB Nation] (Next, someone will tell you democracy is broken.)
- Former Dynamo, Shark, Avalanche, Hurricane, Duck, Ranger, Shark (again), Blade, and Dynamo (again) Sandis Ozolinsh is retiring after a bunch of seasons. [PHT]
- Former Duck, Avalanche etc. J-S Giguere will retire, to the surprise of no one. [NHL]
- This is brutal, and not for the hockey reasons: The Ukraine unrest has burned a KHL hockey arena. [SB Nation]