Happy weekend! For a bunch of our fanbase, this is Memorial Day weekend, a time for cooking meat, drinking things, and generally kicking off summer in style. Or, for watching your team in the conference finals, if you should be so lucky.
Here are some topics for discussion fodder, when you're in between barbecues.
- TSN's Scott Cullen takes a look at the Jaroslav Halak deal and likes what he sees.
- Jeff Capellini thinks Halak is a sign of things to come for Garth Snow this summer. [CBS New York]
- Our Mark D takes the wood to a pair of voices Islanders fans know well at his own Bard's Blog.
- Frans Nielsen wins Islanders Player of the Year via fan voting. Sources say a man with short hair and a non-Long Island accent was seen stuffing the ballot boxes in favor of Nielsen.
- Gallery: Matt Martin is a good egg, and made some fans' weekends at an autograph signing on Friday.
- Griffin Reinhart's Edmonton Oil Kings beat Val d'Or 4-3 in triple overtime on Friday in the longest game in Memorial Cup history, and will play the Guelph Storm in the final on Sunday. I assume they'll sleep all day Saturday. [Lowetide]
- Be like garik! with this raw neutral zone you can noodle around with. Hey, I'm the guy who spends his free time messing with PhotoShop, so I'm not judging here. [Fan Post]
- Blackhawks and Kings resume their series tonight in Los Angeles. Kings defenseman Jake Muzzin won't be muzzled this post-season. [Jewels from the Crown]
- Rangers-Canadiens is getting ugly. Already ugly is Dan Carcillo, who will sit out a 10-game suspension for giving an linesman a standing elbow shot like Cowboy Bob Orton. Carcollo isn't a big loss for the Rangers, however...
- Derek Stepan is, so wipe that smile off your faces, Habs. Brandon Prust will also miss two games after hitting with a shoulder that broke Stepan's jaw. Ouch. [Eyes on the Prize]
- Marc Begevin, Bob Murray and Dean Lombardi are your GM of the Year award candidates. Place your bets on who gets fired next season. [Kukla's Korner]
- Speaking of GMs, Jim Benning is the new man in charge of the Canucks. [Canucks Army]
- A frequent name around the comments is Anton Stralman, who is doing great things on defense and flying under the radar. [Tyler Dellow]
- Dallas Eakins is looking for reinforcements behind the Oilers bench. [Edmonton Journal]
- SB Nation's Lightning blog Raw Charge gets name checked on a Jeopardy app. Cool.
May 24th? May 24th? ... why does that date sound familiar? Oh, right.
- [Bits] Halak-aday Weekend; (still) Grading Griffin; London Falling; Ice Iced
- Snowy's Choice: Isles give 2015 First Round Pick to Buffalo, Satisfy No One (except Sabres fans)
- Halak Me Now? Islanders sign goalie to 4-year, $18 million contract
- [Bits] Vexing Vanek; Robinson Returns; Stats n' Stuff; IIHF Quarters,
- [Bits] On Islanders Goalie Options, Owner Saga, Gretzky, Vanek and Satan