- Halak Attack: LHH | New$day | NY Post | IPB | Islanders | an unimpressed Puck Daddy
- A fantasy hockey perspective on the Halak signing. [NHL Fantasy Spin]
- The Islanders also made it official and are keeping their first round pick this year and giving next year's to the Sabres. My overly cinematic take here.
- Uncle Bob knows what's up:
McKenzie "I don't think announcing the Halak signing as their #1 goalie & keeping the draft selection was a coincidence"— Hope_Smoke (@Hope_Smoke) May 22, 2014
- Before about 3:30 pm, the topic du jour was once again, the playing future of Griffin Reinhart. Garik posted some interesting information and comparables in a Fanpost here.
- In the interest of Reinhart fairness, CBS's Daniel Friedman took issue with garik's "oddball numbers" or, as the rest of us like to call them, "statistics."
- Alex Galchenyuk may have scored the OT game winner, but the hero for the Habs was Dustin Tokarski, who stood on his damn head and kept the Rangers from running away with it and taking a 3-0 series lead. Game 4 is Sunday.
- NEW! There were a couple of bad decisions made in the Rangers-Habs game that could result in some supplemental discipline. Montreal's Brandon Prust laid a late, high hit on Derek Stepan, and Dan Carcillo went Gorilla Salad on a ref as he was being pulled from a scrum. [USA Today has both videos]
- Game 3 of the West Final is tomorrow night, which means the NHL must want everyone to go see X-Men: Days of Future Past tonight.
- Team USA's tournament is over after a 4-3 loss to the Czech Republic on Thursday. I blame Dom. The good news: Canada was eliminated, too.
- A longread from Adam Gretz on captains, leadership and winning the Stanley Cup. [About.com]
- Scouts love veterans and leave young players. [Eric T at SB Nation]
- Inside the Penguins search for a general manager. [Post-Gazette]
- The vaunted London Knights got knocked down a peg at this year's Memorial Cup. [I'm adding a new "Standard The Hockey News Warning" to these from now on]
- The Indiana Ice won the USHL's champion, then stopped operations because of arena issues. Goin' out on top. [See above Hockey News advisory]
- It's been all downhill for the (now) Arizona Coyotes since the 2012 Western Conference Final. [Five for Howling]
Halak calls in to NHL Live to talk about the contract. No word on whether EJ Hradek has already ordered his Halak shirsey yet.
- Snowy's Choice: Isles give 2015 First Round Pick to Buffalo, Satisfy No One (except Sabres fans)
- Halak Me Now? Islanders sign goalie to 4-year, $18 million contract
- [Bits] Vexing Vanek; Robinson Returns; Stats n' Stuff; IIHF Quarters,
- [Bits] On Islanders Goalie Options, Owner Saga, Gretzky, Vanek and Satan
- No Game for Gentlemen: Trash Talk From the NHL's Original Six Era