Congratulations on not being fired by the Pittsburgh Penguins yesterday. But don't get too comfortable. The new boss will be here any minute and will probably can your ass immediately. In the meantime, have a nice vacation.
- Griffin Reinhart gets a second (and final) chance at a Memorial Cup. Edmonton faces Guelph today at 4 pm. [Islanders]
- Rich guy who's not rich enough Andrew Barroway has apparently shaken out enough couches to meet Charles Wang's asking price for the Islanders. So... do we have a deal? [LHH from yesterday]
World Without Sheros
The Penguins fired GM Ray Shero yesterday, but retained coach Dan Bylsma, whose future will be determined by the team's next general manager. That's a fun way to spend a summer.
Within hours, there was enough written about Shero's faults and Bylsma's dilemma to fill a library. A sampling:
- Seth Rorabaugh has probably the most complete run-down of exactly what went wrong with the Penguins since the 2009 Stanley Cup.
- A long, rambling, grit-filled and character rich interview with owners Mario Lemieux and Ron "The Money Guy" Burkle. [Pittsburgh Tribune]
- A total Consol Energy Center house cleaning has been put on hold. For now. Dun dun daaa. [Post Gazette]
- Yeah, Bylsma could stay on next season, according to Mario. Sure, pal. [Post-Gazette]
- But seriously, how much do the Penguins really need to do to get back to the top? [Bleacher Report. Standard warnings apply]
- The Kings took a 3-0 lead in the first period of Game 7 against the Ducks and never looked back. L.A.'s 6-2 win sets up a Western Conference Final rematch with the Blackhawks that starts tomorrow.
- The Eastern Conference Final begins this afternoon at Bell Centre. Montreal is fired up about the Habs! New York is, as usual, totally ambivalent about the Rangers. Some idiot wrote about the competition between New York sports teams at Eyes on the Prize.
- Team USA beat Kazakstan in OT on Friday thanks to Seth Jones' winner, his second goal of the game. Matt Donovan also had a goal.
- Justin Abdelkader will miss Sunday's game against Finland with a suspension for kneeing.
Non Penguins News
- Sharks in the water: "Devastated" Dan Boyle won't be back in San Jose. How about Long Island? [CSN Bay Area]. In his place, Brent Burns will be moved from forward back to defense, which Fear the Fin says is a bad idea.
- That Marian Gaborik trade has worked out pretty well for the Kings. [SB Nation]
- As has the Peter Regin acquisition for the Blackhawks. Honestly, I'm glad for him. [CSN Chicago]
- Trading depth guys is one thing. Trading stars is a lot trickier. [Spector's Hockey]
- An interview with NBC Sports Network animal wrangler Liam McHugh. Are you sitting down? He's a Long Island native and grew up a "casual Islanders fan." I had no idea. I respect him much more now knowing that deep down he probably hates Mike Milbury, too. [Times Union]
Mario wants the Penguins to get tougher. You know who was tough? Beatrice Goddamn Arthur! Here she is pushing around Lemieux and former Blue Jays infielder Tony Fernandez.
- New York Islanders Sale Talks: Borroway reportedly has financing, partners to meet Wang's price
- Islanders, Playoffs News: Tavares back skating; Nelson scores pair at IIHF WC
- NHL Bits: Bile for Bylsma; Game 7s are for everyone
- [Bits] Royal Reinhart; Gordon Gripes; Rangers Roll; Must-See Safety Video
- Islanders News: Griffin Reinhart wins WHL MVP, heads to Memorial Cup, not to Oilers