All NHL playoff series were extended last night, and that is a beautiful thing. Here are some readable things:
In the WHL, Griffin Reinhart's Oil Kings won Game 7 in Portland to take the championship and reserve a Memorial Cup b
ierth, and he was named MVP of the series. Which, on cue, means more Edmonton media discussing acquiring him from the Isles.
NHL Playoffs: The Habs destroyed the Bruins to force Game 7, though that won't keep them all from detention. (Meanwhile, David Desharnais swiped this puck off the goal line, causing Pierre McGuire to say about 17 different times "that's not a goal." Thanks, Pierre. Here's how to Pierre-ify your own web experience.)
Out west, the Ducks nearly destroyed the Kings, but let L.A. back in it. Anaheim still took the lead heading into Game 6.
Aside: With all the anxiety in Pittsburgh (noted in yesterday's links), I almost want them to lose Game 7 tonight to the Rang- ... never mind.
IIHF WC: Russia destroyed the U.S., 6-1, the largest margin of defeat for the U.S. against Russia since 1991.
- Ray Ferraro would love for his son Landon to become a regular Red Wing, but it's cool, he knows this stuff takes time. [Globe]
- P.K. Subban is black, and that's a problem. ... Wait, that didn't come out right. What they mean is P.K. Subban reflects hockey's "problematic" relationship with minorities. [Puck Daddy]
- Mars needs women, the Jets need Europeans. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Barry Melrose talked to Second City Hockey. [Second City Hockey]
- On recent DWI-and-cocaine-busted Ryan Malone: Fat, drunk and slow is no way to avoid getting bought out in life, son.
- This is a bit old but surfaced again: The Miracle on Ice from the other side, with emphasis on what Valery Kharlamov went through under a new coach. Separately, here's a vintage article from the time of Kharlamov's death. Here's how Russians remembered the Russian-Spanish (Basque) hybrid.
- Your Star Wars goalie masks are here. [Puck Daddy]
- Your daily rant about Leafs management. [PPP]
- SLIDESHOW: THIS IS A LIST OF RFA'S WHO MIGHT RECEIVE OFFER SHEETS, ONLY IT'S IN SLIDESHOW FORM. 270 WORDS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE LIST. IN SLIDESHOW FORM. THANK YOU, BLEACHER REPORT, FOR REDUCING EVEN DECENT HOCKEY WRITERS TO SLIDESHOWS.
Finally: Come on, Teemu. The proper response is to ask his mom out on a date:
Teemu: "(Gibson) was talking about how his mom is the same age as me. I almost punched him."— Greg Beacham (@gregbeacham) May 13, 2014