Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, wives, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, cousins and any other ladies who keep our lives moving in the right direction (or, in my case, moving at all).
The NHL obviously wants you to spend the afternoon at Mom's house because there's no matinee hockey today. Rangers-Bruins Game 6 is at 7 pm tonight from The Garden, while Blackhawks and Wild are back in Chicago for Game 5 at 9 pm. Penguins can advance with a win.
- As the Bruins took a 3 games to 2 lead with a 4-2 win last night, their series with the Canadiens took yet another turn for the absurd. Now, Milan Lucic is acting like Hulk Hogan and Shawn Thornton is squirting water at P.K. Subban as he passes the Boston bench. But remember, these guys are professionals.
- Update: Thornton's squeeze will cost him $28K.
- The Kings and Ducks are tied after Anaheim's 2-0 win. In his first playoff start, and a surprise one at that, Ducks rookie John Gibson posted the shutout. If the Kings are walking around today mumbling, "mother...," it probably doesn't have anything to do with Mother's Day.
- Full recaps here.
- Griffin Reinhart's Edmonton Oil Kings can take the WHL Championship with a win over Portland today in Edmonton. [Edmonton Journal]
- The Stockton Thunder's season is over after a Game 5 loss to Bakersfield last night. Goals by Marc Cantin and Alan Quine helped the Thunder build a 3-0 lead that was lost in the third period en route to a 5-3 Condors win.
IIHF World Championships:
- The U.S. beat Switzerland 3-2 on Saturday for their second win in as many games at the Worlds. Team USA"s next game is Monday at 1:30 pm versus Mother Russia.
- Keep Anders Lee on your fantasy hockey radar next season. [Dobber]
- The playoff games at The Garden have been as quiet as a... garden. [Brooksie]
- The NHL is planning on making some actual, official analytical changes next season. [Globe n' Mail]
- People in South Dakota don't care about the Kings-Ducks series. [Battle of California]
- Finally, at long last: custom NHL94 Chair Mats are available for ordering. Father's Day is around the corner! [Dave's Geeky Hockey]