It's a Saturday, both series last night were extended, and the other two continue tonight. (No afternoon games.) But if you're jonesing for daytime hockey, the U.S. plays Switzerland at the World Championship at 1:30 p.m. EDT (NBCSN).
- Yesterday, the U.S. (featuring Brock Nelson and Colin McDonald, who each scored) beat Belarus. The Isles posted about it here, and we riffed about the Belarus-friendly write-up here.
Islanders fans gave Matt Martin the "hit of the year" award for his double hit on Buffalo, but honestly when you watch the video of all three nominees I don't understand how Cal Clutterbuck's counter-hit on the predatory headhunter Niklas Kronwall doesn't take it.
- And the winner of the Mike Mottau and Milan Jurcina Award goes to...Dan Girardi and Marc Staal. Well done, boys. That was pathetic.
- In kinder things, Sidney Crosby went up and (presumably) consoled Martin St. Louis about (presumably) his mom's death. [CBS]
- Staal is doing a regular job of targeting Crosby's head, apparently. [Trib]
- Yet even more on Randy Carlyle's extension while his two assistants were fired: No but seriously, Leafs fans aren't fond of Randy Carlyle. [PPP]
- These are Paul Holmgrem's 10 Best Moves and these are Paul Holmgrem's 10 Worst Moves. [BSH]
- Planning your Mothers' Day around hockey? The NHL clarified the schedule.