It all comes to an end tonight for the New York Islanders, except it doesn't, because they're in prospect evaluation mode anyway, and some prospects will continue on in Bridgeport until the AHL season is done.
It's an early (5 p.m.) start, so get your homework done quickly, won't you:
- Among those prospects is apparently Ryan Pulock, whose Brandon Wheat Kings were eliminated by Griffin Reinhart's Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL playoffs. Word from Brandon is that Pulock is headed Bridgeport's way.
- If you've missed the latest shuffling -- and you'd need graph paper to keep track -- recent Islanders draft picks on Bridgeport's ever-lengthening season roster include Victor Crus Rydberg, Kyle Burroughs and Jesse Graham, who already has a goal and two assists.
- Including today's matinee, Bridgeport still has four games left because Saturday's was postponed due to, heh, a foam party mishap. No, seriously.
- Sticking with the Bridgeport train, if you didn't check MIchael Fornabaio's piece on Brett Gallant, it's excellent. (Well, it's excellent even if you did check it.) It also has a lot of quotes from current Islanders rookies on what Gallant means to them.
- If you're still following the Islanders sale rumors, the weekend began with a little more detail on the lone bidder and his quest.
- Newsday's Arthur Staple does some post-season temperature checks, including where the Isles are likely to place blame for this season, and who is on the hot seat. Also from Newsday, if you missed it after the Montreal game, Thomas Vanek had some (quite justified) praise for the Islanders' strength down the middle.
- Tonight's opponent, the Sabres, were hammered in Boston yesterday through a mix of hockey, injuries -- goalie Matt Hackett left on a stretcher -- and ejections. ... The injuries included Christian Ehrhoff with a concussion and deadline acquisition Chris Stewart to another lower body injury. ... Ville Leino was a healthy scratch -- and so close to a goalless season -- but they may need to use him today.
- All of yesterday's scores.
- Ryan Smyth played his last NHL game. It was tearful. Now he can do retirement things, like catching the early buffet deal.
- The Flames signed Hobey Baker winner Johnny Gaudreau, and they close out their season -- and "battle" with the Isles for 26th place -- tonight in Vancouver.
- On Chico retiring. [Fire & Ice]
- The Capitals' issues began quite a while ago. [Wa. Post]
- Is Brendan Shanahan the man to lead the Leafs out of darkness? Who the hell knows? [PPP]
- Should we talk about goaltending yet? Here are some NCAA free agents, and here's a list of NHL free agent ones.
- The Blues are dealing with a nasty rash of injuries to key players, which means 2012-13 Islander Keith Aucoin received his first NHL recall of the year.
FIG Picks Tonight, Leaderboard
Well, our annual First Islanders Goal title has already been decided, as seasonlong stalwart martyInd clinched it by picking Anders Lee last game (and stuffing it to us critics who get on message boards to say he succeeds only by riding Tavares' coattails).
However, many of you can move up or down in the standings with the right call today. And of course Mrs. Mike in MI still holds a two-point lead over Mike in MI thanks to a mid-season comeback. The top of the leaderboard:
43 - martylnd
32 - zack779
31 - DoctorOsty
27 - Isle in Dixie
25 - mrs. mike in mi
23 - jeanluc1968
23 - mike in mi
23 - Ukiddinme
22 - Torgo
Go here to see the full standings of participants. And thanks for playing!