The Islanders are 1-0-0 in the Post-Andrew MacDonald era. At some point today, probably around 3:00 p.m., they'll begin the Post-Thomas Vanek era. There were a lot of trades yesterday and more are expected (or perhaps UNEXPECTED DUN DUN DAH). Next game is Thursday in Edmonton, who may or may be the same team that played last night.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | NY Post | IPB (by our man Quinn) | Islanders | Arctic Ice Hockey
- The Skinny from The 'Peg.
- More info on Matt Mangene, Manorville native and lifelong Islanders fan, who was picked up from the Flyers in yesterday's Andrew MacDonald trade. [New$day]
- Arthur Staple has the latest scuttlebutt on MacDonald and Vanek, which might be outdated by the time you read this. [New$day]
- Eyes on Isles with a handy breakdown of the 10 people you meet on Twitter at the NHL Trade Deadline.
- Sound Tiger's veteran Justin Johnson is excited about his NHL contract at age 32. [CT Post]
- Last night's NHL scores. David Krejci tricks Panthers and the Devils win with Martin Brodeur in net, maybe for the last time unless everyone comes to their senses and stops this Favre-ian lunacy right now.
- Friedman's 30 Thoughts Trade Deadline Eve Special. Lots on Ryan Kessler, Roberto Luongo and the Sabres. Not much Islanders stuff, except for a small Roman Hamrlik trade story.
- Yes, it's true: after 47 years of drama and hurt feelings, Luongo is finally an ex-Canuck and once again a Florida Panther. Miami Herald writer George Richards (who is Twitter gold, by the way at @GeorgeRichards) has the low-down with Panthers GM Dale Tallon on the deal that sent goalie Jakob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias to Vancouver.
- In other goalie news, Ilya Bryzgalov was sent to Minnesota [Star Tribune], and the Oilers acquired odd-man out Viktor Fasth from Anaheim. [Copper n' Blue]
- David Shoalts rips Sabres ownership. [Globe & Mail]
- Ted Nolan gives the boys a day in the sun to relax. [Sabres Edge]
- The first deal of the day was the most forgettable: the Canadiens acquired Panthers defenseman Mike Weaver for some reason. [EOTP]
- The Capitals were busy; first trading a pick to the Ducks for Dustin Penner and later dealing Martin Erat to Phoenix for Rostislav Klesla and prospect Chris Brown. [Japers Rink]
- TSN smart guy Scott Cullen recaps all the deals from a possession stat angle, including ones I'm sure I missed.
- Is Tampa Bay's Teddy Purcell a guy who needs to move today? [Bolts by the Bay]
- Down Goes Brown's Dos and Don'ts of the NHL Trade Deadline. Don't repeat the mistakes of the past (or do so we can laugh).
- In 2004, Glen Sather won the trade deadline in quantity, not quality. [The Hockey News]
Harrison Mooney pays tribute to Luongo in the best way he can, with the parody song "Goalie in the Wind."