The Islanders ease back from the Olympic break with a quiet, boring 5-4 overtime win before back-to-back matinees this weekend. So take it easy today and be ready for tomorrow afternoon.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | NY Post | IPB | Islanders | PPP
- Eric Hornick gets back into The Skinny groove with stats and notes from last night.
- Expect to see Thomas Vanek and Andrew MacDonald in this weekend's games. [New$day]
- Neil Best chats with some of the student broadcasters calling Islanders games this season. [New$day]
Trade Deadline Fun:
- Down Goes Brown examines why teams don't make blockbuster trades any more, beyond just the salary cap.
- The long Ryan Miller era is ending in Buffalo. [SB Nation]
- Tyler Dellow directs his attention to how much the Leafs should be willing to pay UFA Dave Bolland. A companion piece at his site looks at how star players are paid in the NHL today.
- We should all read more Conference III, which always takes a unique view of things. JR Lind offers a handy (and hilarious) guide to the 2013-14 Trade Deadline.
- If you somehow missed this yesterday, Pension Plan Puppets endorses the immediate trading of non-practicing, media-hostile malcontent layabout Phil Kessel. (PS Not really)
- And Phil Esposito goes bananas on trade rumors, Larry Brooks and the kids on his lawn in an expletive-laden radio rant. Only thing missing is a Danny Gloveresque "I'm getting too old for this shit."
- Last night's NHL scores. Madness everywhere. Blowouts for the Sharks and Red Wings, Habs topped the Penguins 6-5 in OT.
- So does Ryan Kesler want out of Vancouver or not? Make up your mind, bro. [Nucks Misconduct]
- Martin St. Louis's trade request reflects poorly on the veteran, but time can heal the rift between he and Tampa GM Steve Yzerman.
- Former Islander Jack Hillen is working his way back from a leg injury. [Washington Post]
- The Winnipeg Jets are only two points out of the playoffs? Really? Hm. The stretch drive will be a dog fight. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- NHL mucketymucks John Collins and Ross Greenburg talk about NHL Revealed, Sohci and yes outdoor games because you're not sick of them yet. [Puck Daddy]
- Collectors rejoice. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed to a multi-year trading card licensing deal with Upper Deck. [NHL]
- Nightmare Fuel: Coyotes bobblehead captain Shane Gnome. [The Sporting News]
- A convenient list from Megalodon at Battle of California: the NHL Twitter accounts you absolutely MUST AVOID AT ALL COSTS.