All of the sudden, NHL hockey is back -- the Sabres and Hurricanes play a weather makeup game tonight, before the full schedule kicks in Wednesday -- and when there's not hockey there is plenty of trade deadline speculation to go around.
For the Islanders, Thursday will begin a run of six games in nine days. But last night's news was the call has come in: Ryan Strome, Anders Lee and Mike Halmo all get recalled on emergency basis. For the latter, it's a bit of an unexpected recall and may be short-lived -- Matt Martin has been rehabbing an injury -- but it's a reward for hard work and a good season.
- Here is our LHH post and thread on the news.
- Bridgeport beatwriter Michael Fornabaio goes into the three recalls on the Soundin' Off blog and in the CT Post proper, noting it leaves the Sound Tigers with 10 healthy forwards.
- This went around yesterday: More good stuff in part two of Arthur Staple's Q&A with IslesBlog.
- The Isles practiced outside at Grant Park yesterday. [Islanders]
- In the Isles' prospect report, Ryan Pulock is about to break some career records for Brandon. [Islanders]
- FanPost topics: Which Islander gets traded first? Is this the second-worst season in franchise history? Where do you fall on NHLers at the Olympics? (Incidentally, no one expects a post-Olympics bump because it's never happened.)
- In case you need a reminder of how the Metro stacks up. [NHL]
- Here is a preview of the next NHL Revealed, which first airs Thursday and will probably include some heartbreaking stuff:
- Evidently Dan's post fooled quite a few people yesterday, but that is not and was not our intent. I suppose that many people really would like to see Pierre McGuire detained.
- Bob McKenzie goes into why there are rumblings about a Martin St. Louis trade. [TSN]
- Good Q&A with Donald Fehr, who speaks in lawyer particulars about the future of NHLers in international hockey. [ESPN]
- Grantland: 10 More Medal Events for Sochi Olympic Hockey
- The Nick Backstrom "suspended for allergies" saga is all kinds of sad. [RMNB]
- This Sports Business Daily feature on Mike Illitch was a good read...and just kind of drilled home that the Wings' success came from being able to throw money at everyone, including all their behind-the-Iron-Curtain finds.
- Ryan Clowe was THIS close to signing with Montreal ... until Lou Lamoriello offered him 250 percent more years. [Telegram]
- #currentwild Zach Parise clarifies that he wasn't ripping Dan Bylsma ... probably out of respect for Sidney Crosby. [Star-Trib]
- Good news in Nashville: Rinne expects clearance to play games 'this week at some point' | nashvillepost.com