The Bridgeport Sound Tigers did what their parent club finds so hard to do: Win in Philadelphia. They were in the Flyers' arena to take on the Adirondack Phantoms with the big clubs off for the Olympic break.
In the process, the Baby Isles pulled off a third-period comeback for the second consecutive night, yielding their 10th win in their last 12 games -- yet still miles from a playoff spot -- as Aaron Ness scored the winner in the third period and Anders Nilsson registered 26 saves.
Bridgeport plays Providence at home this afternoon. Matt Martin bobbleheads abound.
Olympic Men's Gold Medal Game
Oh, and this morning is the men's gold medal game at that NHL interruptus event known in some circles as the Olympics. After the U.S. fell apart in the second period to lose out on bronze to Teemu Selanne and Finland yesterday, Canada and Sweden go at it for gold. It's the big brothers of the Nordics and the North Americans after yesterday's little brother show.
Of course, Canada will be without John Tavares because a Latvian broke him. (But no, not the Latvian who just got disqualified for failing a doping test...you know that unfair stimulant methylhexaneamine.)
Anyway, if you're up early enough (or watching at a humane hour on another continent), here is your gold medal game thread. Go Canada. Or Sweden. Your rooting mileage may vary.
- Video: In Which New York Islanders Coach Jack Capuano Defines 'Battle Level'
- OCP to rebuild John Tavares as half-human half-robot cyborg 'RoboJohn'
- John Tavares Injury: Garth Snow Rips IOC in Rare Moment of Public Steam
- On NHL Trade Rumors, and the GM-Coach Relationship
- Non-Olympic Islanders compete in team-wide snowball fight tournament in Nassau Coliseum parking lot